Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to applescript "Take Screen Shot" "From Selection"

I try to make an applescript key shortcut for Preview - > "Take Screen Shot" - > "From Selection..." but I get an error message.

When I make one with "From Entire Screen" it works. So it has to do with the 3 dots in "From Selection..."

I tried to make an applescript for " From Selection..." without the dots but still get an error.

Anyone has a solution?

Posted on May 30, 2015 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 5:02 AM

It isn't three dots. It is one ellipsis. Hold down option and press the semi-colon key to get an ellipsis. The standard keyboard shortcuts should handle both; however, you mention Applescript, so I'm not sure what you are doing.

6 replies

May 30, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Barney-15E

Well what I really wanted is to capture a selection and show it directly on the desktop.

The normal shortcut (shift command 4) only captures and saves the selection but doesn't show it directly on the desktop.

So I made on my old Powermac with the application Spark Deamon a script for key F16. And put Spark Deamon in the "login items"window in System Preferences.

But in Preview in OS X 10.5.8 on the powermac It was "Grab" instead of now it is " From Selection… so I couldn't get it to work because of what I thought were 3 dots.

Now with the ellipsis it works again. Thx again.

The script is :

tell application "Preview"

activate

tell application "System Events"

tell process "Preview"

tell menu bar 1

tell menu bar item "File"

tell menu "File"

tell menu item "Take Screen Shot"

tell menu "Take Screen Shot"

click menu item "From Selection…"

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

end tell

How to applescript "Take Screen Shot" "From Selection"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.