Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm on OX X Yosemite 10.10.3. Do I need to update to Java for OS X 2014-001? Looks like this is for the older software. If I don't need this, how can I get rid of the window that keeps popping up to remind me to update? Thanks.

I'm on OX X Yosemite 10.10.3. Do I need to update to Java for OS X 2014-001? Looks like this is for the older software. If I don't need this, how can I get rid of the window that keeps popping up to remind me to update? Thanks.

Posted on May 30, 2015 8:03 AM

4 replies

May 30, 2015 2:37 PM in response to filbrandt

It's most likely older apps on your Mac are looking for it. Such as the Adobe CS4 through CS6 apps. Dreamweaver I know is one that requires Java 6 in order to run it. You can get it here:

Java for OS X 2014-001

As far as the web goes, I don't know if Java 6 will help. I know for a fact that Mavericks and Yosemite will not even allow Java 6 to be used in a web browser, even if you have it installed. I won't allow Java 7 from Oracle, either. If you require Java for web sites you use under those OS versions, you must install Oracle's Java 8.

How far back this restriction goes in OS X, I'm not sure. It's entirely possible Java 6 will work in Safari under Lion, but I can't verify that. Regardless, if you have no need for Java to be enabled in your web browsers, don't. Sites that require Java are getting very fewer and further between.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.