Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to reinstall I web? Am I hosed?

Old Mac Pro died yesterday. Won't boot other than in safe mode. Got new Mac Pro. Old stuff backed up. In process of switching iweb sites to Everwb, but have not published yet. Need to be able to still open iweb, mainly for copying to everweb. All of a sudden I have sinking feeling—am I able to reinstall IWeb? If so, how?

mac pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 30, 2015 4:53 AM

13 replies

May 30, 2015 5:49 AM in response to Averythomas

I did. Walked in with old Mac Pro (8-9 yrs old, Tiger or leopard or something...) walked out with brand spanking new Mac pro. They got to point of assuming it's a hardware issue and advised to take it somewhere else that might do more hardware diagnosis, or try installing new graphics card to see if that's the problem. I decided I don't want to put any money into it as it's been time for a new one. However... If there is no way to get Iweb running again on new Yosemite machine, I might have to think about it. Or I just suck it up and recreate everything in Everweb.

May 30, 2015 9:04 AM in response to 2hang4

No. iWeb will not be on the new Mac Pro. If you have the old one you can use Migration Assistant to move your files from the old Mac to the new one. Also manually copy iWeb and the domain files which, by default, are located in the Home/User/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder. Just copy the whole folder to the same location on the new Mac. Then follow the directions in the topic I linked you to.

May 30, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Old Toad

Old mac only boots in safe mode. (I don't it set up right now, just came back from Apple store.) IWeb opened in safe mode but wouldn't work when clicking on pages. I'll have to see what I can accomplish in safe mode. I do have it all backed up in Time machine, but wasn't abel to open that either from safe mode.

May 31, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your help. I ended up moving it over to my Macbook Pro instead of the new Mac Pro. I'm totally lost when it comes to files and directory stuff, but my wife is an IT pro. She finally stepped in, although having never seen iWeb before, and not quite as savvy on MAcs. She had trouble finding the files, but using your stuff about hidden files she finally got it. Thanks so much for your help.

Jun 1, 2015 7:45 PM in response to Old Toad

I am in a similar situation as stated above...just read and re-read through all the info...want to make sure I do this right...

I have a MacBookPro with OS 10.6.8. Had Safari 5.1.10 and was trying to upgrade it...long story short...I downloaded Safari 7.0 (or so I thought it was!) from a third party site and ended up infected with MacKeeper and other junk...needless to say, the computer is crashing...I'm currently in safe mode, backing up with Time Machine (for the first time 😟). Realize now that I needed NOT download from anything other that Apple site, AND that I need to upgrade my OS first. Tech guy at the store got me into safe mode so I could at least get my files, photos backed up, which is happening now. My concern is iWeb....when I opened iWeb...my pages are listed on the left but no content shows up...is all the content of my site gone?? When I clicked on the Domain file, it is there but seems empty...

What steps do I need to do to restore iWeb after I finish my back up and before I do a system restore, then download new OS...probably Maverick or Yosemite.

Thanks so much!!!

Oh, and I have iWeb 3.0.4

Jun 2, 2015 7:03 AM in response to jenniferfromlufkin

I sure can't help you here; figure'd Old Toad or one of the other valuable resources around here would show up and get you straightened out. I can't talk intelligently about any of this. All I know is I was pleasantly surprised when I dragged the iWeb app out of my Mac Pro in safe mode into dropbox folder and it magically appeared on my Macbook Pro. It took my wife a couple of hours and reading instructions on here to locate the files (hidden) but she did, got them into MacBook Pro, and I am enjoying working on it from said laptop. Good luck.

Jun 2, 2015 10:02 AM in response to jenniferfromlufkin

Realize now that I needed NOT download from anything other that Apple site,

It's safe to download 3rd party apps directly from the developer but never download apps that are created by Apple from a 3rd party site. Many 3rd party developers are OK'd by Apple and are also in the App Store.

My concern is iWeb....when I opened iWeb...my pages are listed on the left but no content shows up...is all the content of my site gone??

It could be that MacKeeper deleted content needed by the Domain files or in the domain files. You can look in side the domain file by Control (right) - clicking on it and selecting Show Package Contents from the contextual menu. Look for image files in the top layer of the package and, if there is an Albums folder, inside its subfolders. If the files appear to be in there made a backup copy of it. After installing the new system verify that the iWeb folder with domain files is located in the User/Home/Library/Applications Support folder.

You may have to do the following in order to get iWeb 3 to open the domain file:

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible in Lion or Mt. Lion enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder. This also works for Mavericks and Yosemite.

For Mavericks, 10.9 , go to your Home folder and use the View âž™ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

Need to reinstall I web? Am I hosed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.