Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop is not prompting Accept or Decline--any ideas?

Our iOS 7 iPad prompts us to accept or decline an Airdrop send. Our iOS 8 iPad Mini RD, though,does NOT!

I've looked for an option that would control this, but haven't found it. Has the default behavior changed?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.2, "Other" up to 6.6 GB !

Posted on May 30, 2015 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 8:21 AM

Thomas, Ethan, appreciate the quick replies!

I obviously didn't state my problem correctly! 🙂

I'm transferring between the two iPads... both are on the same network, both using Contacts only, and the files transfer fine.

The question is why the files transfer directly onto the iPad Mini RD without prompting me first whether I want to accept it or not! Going the other way, the iPad Air with iOS 7 asks, politely, whether I'd like to accept or decline it!

Is there a setting that controls that? Is the behavior now in iOS 8 to automatically accept files from known users?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 8:21 AM in response to AstroMacMan

Thomas, Ethan, appreciate the quick replies!

I obviously didn't state my problem correctly! 🙂

I'm transferring between the two iPads... both are on the same network, both using Contacts only, and the files transfer fine.

The question is why the files transfer directly onto the iPad Mini RD without prompting me first whether I want to accept it or not! Going the other way, the iPad Air with iOS 7 asks, politely, whether I'd like to accept or decline it!

Is there a setting that controls that? Is the behavior now in iOS 8 to automatically accept files from known users?

Mar 29, 2017 3:33 PM in response to Nathan187

After tweaking my Contacts-- basically making sure that there was a unique entry that had a specified email address on both devices-- I now set Air Drop for Contacts Only. In that way, you actually do restrict it, at least to people in your Contacts list-- if they are around. I basically just use it for our family devices.

We're now using an iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPod Touch 6, (iOS 10) and MacBook Air (El Capitan).

I did find that I had to permit sharingd in security panel on the Mac to get Air Drop to work with it. To your question, I'm getting the prompt sometimes, sometimes not and then the file transfers automatically.

Let me go try this now for you and see if there is pattern!

----------------------------------------

OK! Here's what I'm seeing. Between i-devices, it sends the document and THEN prompts you as to which app you'd like to open it in. (Doesn't make sense, does it?! It should ask first.). From the Mac TO an i-device, you also get the prompt.

However, from an i-device TO the Mac, it simply transfers it into the Download folder! No prompt at all. Now, that could be because I've asked Pages to convert the document to Word, but that is something else I'll have to try.

I do NOT know of any setting that controls the prompting-- none or always-- perhaps, the Everyone setting does it. Maybe someone who really know AD will chime in.

I'd just as soon get a prompt, just in case it's someone I don't know trying to send something (maybe I selected "Everyone" by mistake) and also to be sure that AD is working! Otherwise, when I transfer something TO the Mac, I'm not sure it worked! The downloads folder icon in the dock does sometimes bounce, but with a small file, that seems to happen in an instant and is easily missed!

-------------------------------------

I do wish that the Air Drop button would not always say "receiving" on it on the IPT. After all, I'm typically sending not receiving!

I hope all that helped! If you figure anything out, let us all know!

Mar 30, 2017 5:33 AM in response to AstroMacMan

@AstroMacMan

hey man, thanks for your quick and detailed response. our customer doesn't want to see a prompt or even some sort of window notifying you of an airdrop transfer.

i played around with these libraries and i think it will do what i need it to do. i'm only sending out or transferring json text of less that 20K

https://github.com/jpsim/PeerKit

https://github.com/rchatham/PeerConnectivity

Airdrop is not prompting Accept or Decline--any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.