Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a ipod touch 2gen but it's stuck on ios 4.2.1.Many of the new apps are incompatible with my ipod touch.Could you manually put in an up-to-date cpu and ram?

My ipod touch currently has ios 4.2.1 and is model mc086ll.If anyone knows how to install a newer operating system,please tell me.

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on May 30, 2015 8:38 AM

2 replies

May 30, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Jai Johnson

The hardware (on 128 MB of RAM) on the 2G supports no higher than 4.2.1.

See if there is a earlier compatible version of the apps available:

Starting when iOS 7 was released, Apple now allows downloading the last compatible version of some apps (iOS 4.2.1 and later only)

App Store: Downloading Older Versions of Apps on iOS - Apple Club

App Store: Install the latest compatible version of an app

You first have to download the non-compatible version on your computer. Then when you try to purchase the version on your iPod you will be offered a compatible version if one exists.

I bought a ipod touch 2gen but it's stuck on ios 4.2.1.Many of the new apps are incompatible with my ipod touch.Could you manually put in an up-to-date cpu and ram?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.