Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my UK bought iPhone in Canada?

I'm eager to purchase an iPhone 6 (I hear the 6+ is a bit too big, but that's for another topic) in the UK and looking to take it with me when I move to Canada in October.

Will this cause any issues? I've heard of people using UK bought phones in Canada on a Canadian SIM with no luck, and I was just wondering if I'd encounter a similar issue.

Thanks any assistance.

Posted on May 30, 2015 7:25 AM

9 replies

May 30, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Pearlexative

Apple is the only source of unlocked phones in the UK. Carphone Warehouse sells "SIM free" phones, which is sneaky. Yes, they will work with any UK carrier, but once it has been used with a carrier it will lock to that carrier forever.

The only other option is to get a phone that is locked to a carrier, then ask the carrier to unlock it. Some will, some will not, and some will with conditions (such as you have been a customer for 2 years) and the ones that will unlock it will charge for the service.

The question is HOW is your friend's phone unlocked? If it was not by either of the methods described, it is not truly unlocked; it was hacked to unlock it. And the first time it is updated it will relock to the original carrier.

May 30, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Pearlexative

That is not correct. The warranty is only honored in the country of purchase, except that the EU counts as a single country for warranty support. Not that this limitation is only for iPhones. Other Apple products do have international warranties. But iPhones are customized for countries and localities, and warranty service means replacing the phone. An Apple store in a different country will not stock the model for the country where it was sold.

Can I use my UK bought iPhone in Canada?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.