Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with recording an external instrument in Logic

Hi guys,

I'm new to the use of external instruments and I've figured out a lot over the past period but I'm a bit stuck now so I'm very much in need of your help!

For your information my setup is as follows:

- Macbook 15" 2012 version

- Motu 828 MK3 hybrid

- Bass station II (hardware synthesizer) (connected to MOTU via Audio cable and to Macbook with USB)

- Logic Pro 9

My main issues are:

1. I can not 'bounce' the sounds from my external instrument.

- I can record midi notes from the Bass station synth, I can play these sounds back, but I can not export this. I however do not have this issue when I record via an Audio track in logic (track setup as audio - instead of a software instrument).

2. I can not record different sounds from my Bass station in Logic.

- The synthesizer has a variety of sounds / patches but I can only work with one sound. When I add a new track, I can only work with the same sound / patch that I had on the first track. If I change the sound / patch this will automatically also change for the first track.

Really hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks!

Sander

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 30, 2015 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 7:57 AM

I can not 'bounce' the sounds from my external instrument.

Bounce using Track in Place after recording the midi track.... so you end up with an Audio recording of the midi track...

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=9%26se ction=21%26tasks=true

Then mute the Midi track.. so only the new audio track is playing....

I can not record different sounds from my Bass station in Logic.

This is because the Bass Station does not support Multitimbral mode.... so it can only play one sound at a time... Nothing you can do about this. It's a hardware limitation of the Bass Station II

So, as you can only record one sound at a time.. as I mentioned earlier... you must bounce the track to audio, mute the midi track... and then change the sound.... and record a new Midi track.... Bounce that to audio and repeat....

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 7:57 AM in response to sander205

I can not 'bounce' the sounds from my external instrument.

Bounce using Track in Place after recording the midi track.... so you end up with an Audio recording of the midi track...

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=9%26se ction=21%26tasks=true

Then mute the Midi track.. so only the new audio track is playing....

I can not record different sounds from my Bass station in Logic.

This is because the Bass Station does not support Multitimbral mode.... so it can only play one sound at a time... Nothing you can do about this. It's a hardware limitation of the Bass Station II

So, as you can only record one sound at a time.. as I mentioned earlier... you must bounce the track to audio, mute the midi track... and then change the sound.... and record a new Midi track.... Bounce that to audio and repeat....

May 30, 2015 10:33 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks for your quick response!

When I make use of bounce in place, the new track also becomes an instrument track (instead of Audio) and the resulting wave form is blank (so a green BIP file without any sounds). Is there maybe something wrong in my presets? I never have this issue when I perform this action for other sounds.

Too bad that the Bass station does not have this, but thanks for the comment, saves me some headaches 🙂

May 30, 2015 2:21 PM in response to sander205

When I make use of bounce in place, the new track also becomes an instrument track (instead of Audio)

Ok.. My mistake.. because I forgot they changed things in LPX compared to LP9..

In LP9....

Once you have a midi track recorded to your external instrument... and it plays back and you can hear your external instrument playing...

Thanks to DN on LPH....

For any external instrument, you need the recording to happen in real time. Just record-enable an audio track with the correct audio inputs selected (the ones where you've plugged in the external instrument's audio outputs) and press record.

Now you will have both a midi track and a recorded audio track..... and you can delete the midi track once you are happy with it.. and you have recorded the audio track.... and create the next track (as your synth is not multitimbral...) deleting the first midi track....... Change the sound on your Synth to the new sound you wish to use.. and again... record your midi track.... then record enable a new audio track to record the output from your synth...

Repeat as needed....

May 31, 2015 3:12 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

Actually, I have no idea what i was thinking last night when I originally answered your question as the solution was.... completely wrong... in both LPX and LP9 for that matter.

Nigel

Nigel,

You know, I read that over several times, trying to figure out what I wasn't understanding, you rarely make errors when posting, I figured it was late and I just wasn't getting it.

May 31, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Pancenter

Pancenter wrote:

You know, I read that over several times, trying to figure out what I wasn't understanding, you rarely make errors when posting, I figured it was late and I just wasn't getting it.

Well Clancy, when I read it back in the morning... I wasn't getting it either..... and I wrote it......

So, who knows what i was thinking or if I was thinking........ Too long a week in the studio is my only excuse!

Problems with recording an external instrument in Logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.