Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iMovie duplicate media files once imported into Library?

Hi!

I'm working with the last actual iMovie version and OS X.

I've created some folders under my document folder. There are video files, audio files and photo files, all organized.

Then I've created a new Event in iMovie and import these media in the library to work on a create a new video.

My question is: does iMovie make a duplicate of the original media files once imported into the library to work on?

I ask because the media that I have to edit (video, audio and pictures) are all uncompressed files, it means it occupies a lot of GBs, my SSD isn't so big, so I'd like to know how iMovie works.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 30, 2015 9:31 AM

3 replies

Jun 1, 2015 3:43 PM in response to ossossosso

Select the project (click on project thumbnail so its gets a gold border. Right click > Move to Trash. It won't actually appear in the trash can but will be deleted when you quit iMovie. This will not reduce the library file size by much since all your original media will still be in the event.

Assuming your are not working on any other projects in this event, you can delete the whole event which contains the project. Select the event in the libraries pane, right click > Move Event to Trash. When you quit, all the media and associated analysis files will be deleted from the library, but the originals in your documents folder should not be touched. Nevertheless first make sure first that you have a backup of them, just in case.

Geoff.

Does iMovie duplicate media files once imported into Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.