Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 constantly goes to sleep on its own (while being actively used)

Hi all,

I recently had my motherboard replaced on my late 2008 MBP (15", unibody, running Yosemite), and my system now seemingly randomly but frequently goes to sleep on its own while I am actively using the computer--especially when pushing the system (using Logic, playing games, etc), rendering this laptop essentially unusable. This is absolutely not due to any general sleep/timeout settings--it will go to sleep while I am actively typing, and I do have the "Computer Sleep" set to "Never" in the Energy Saver preferences. I've been watching the Console closely for what could be causing this, but nothing so far has popped out at me. Has anyone run into any issues like this before?

Any thoughts/pointers would be appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), late 2008 MBP 15" (unibody)

Posted on May 30, 2015 12:24 PM

1 reply

May 30, 2015 3:26 PM in response to DashRantic

Hi Dash,

You could try a PRAM reset (OS X Yosemite: Reset your computer’s PRAM) and or an SMC reset (De System Management Controller (SMC) van een Mac opnieuw instellen - Apple Support). To see if that helps.

I encountered the random sleep problem on a 2010 macbook pro 15". It turned out my mobile phone was in to close proximity of the laptop messing with the lid closing sensor (much like the old magnet to the side of a macbook prank) and PRAM and SMC had nothing to do with it. I solved the problem by leaving my phone on the table if i had my macbook on my lap and vice versa.

Hope this helps!

cheerio

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008 constantly goes to sleep on its own (while being actively used)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.