Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I open some applications, they force quit immediately

Hello. So I have 4 applications that I use frequently (Skype, HDPVRCapture, iMovie, and Aimersoft Video Converter) that force quit the second I open them. I will try to open it and with no hesitation whatsoever I get the problem report that it has force quit. There are other applications that I do not use that do this also. At first I thought it was a bug with the individual program but I'm not sure now as it is with multiple applications.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 30, 2015 10:24 AM

18 replies

May 30, 2015 11:15 AM in response to konjfful

You need to maintain an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of hard drive space at all times for the OS to run properly. Now, FCP is another matter - editing, rendering, etc. need a lot of hard drive space and the general rule is: you should have as much empty space as your files in your current project. When I do a one hour HD project, I can easily amass 100 GB of temp files, so that means you should have at least that much empty space. So, you can't just delete 5 GB and think that's ok - you need to keep moving your space hogging files to another drive and/or let FCP, iMovie, etc. access their files on an external hard drive. You can move your libraries and set up FCP to use an external disk. Here is how to move your iMovie library:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2302

For FCP, try Preferences and/or System Settings (that is where I set the scratch disk in my older Final Cut Express) and it offers options to set a different (external) disk:

User uploaded file

May 30, 2015 11:19 AM in response to babowa

But I find it strange, I hardly every use iMovie as I love FCP. and I an't open iMovie which I would assume uses less disk space than FCP. If that's the case then I have no clue why I can't even open my skype... And I can still open up FCP. But if disk space is the problem. What should I delete? Just useless apps and files? what would be the quickest way to get free hard drive space?

May 30, 2015 12:53 PM in response to konjfful

The quickest would be by moving all your space hogging files to an external drive and then deleting them on your hard drive. Deleting applications doesn't do much and you shouldn't delete any applications installed as part of the system. You can delete third party apps or files in your User folder.

I do not know why Skype does not open or crashes - do you have the appropriate version compatible with your OS version? A reinstall of the OS might be in order, but we need to know exactly which OS version you are running.

How much RAM do you have installed? 4 GB won't do it for FCP - I'd consider a minimum of 8, more is better.

May 30, 2015 7:13 PM in response to babowa

I do have only 4 GB installed. And I everything was able to open up just a little bit ago. Now the same problem. I went throgh and dleted everything I dont use in iMovie, FCP and everything I dont listen to in iTunes. Deleted a bunch of stuff. And still none of the programs will open. Skype won't. iMovie won't. HDPVRCapture, Aimersoft Video Converter, but Final Cut Pro will. I really have no clue why not even iMovie or sjype will open but chrome, iTunes and FCP will? I'm so confused.

May 30, 2015 8:05 PM in response to konjfful

No, no, you don't want any cleaning software - I thought you installed some maybe and it was causing problems.

Thanks for the screenshots - you left out the one for System memory - I'd like to take a look at that.

You can also disable Software Update so it does not run continuously - but then you would have to check for updates manually of course.

May 30, 2015 9:59 PM in response to konjfful

Well, although I consider 4 GB RAM an absolute minimum for any OS Lion and later, the screenshot does not indicate any RAM shortage (at least when that was taken) - absolutely no swapping going on.

If you continue to have the problem, I'd really consider erasing/reinstalling (try to install your apps from scratch). And/or delete the apps you have a problem with and re-download/reinstall them from scratch.

When I open some applications, they force quit immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.