Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 5 Sound Broken- crackling and overheating?

I tried to update my iPod about 3 hours ago. I went through the whole back up thing, then put on 21 songs. It was a very quick process- literally about 2 seconds. I then ejected the iPod (as it had told me the songs had been uploaded) and left. I noticed in the top left hand corner, the 'sync' circle was still spinning, which I thought was strange, but assumed it was just updating the iPod still.

When I went to play the new songs, it was literally just crackling. For some songs, the song will play for a second, then return to crackling. If I lock the iPod, the music stops completely. It's not like this with just the new songs, either. All my songs are now like it.

I turned my iPod off as I had no use for it, yet the iPod itself remained extremely hot to touch for 2 hours. It only cooled down once I had turned the iPod back on. After I had turned it back on, it was very slow and kept freezing up.

If I play the music without headphones and out the speaker, it's fine. (I've just tried it, and my iPod seems to be working at it's normal speed now, too.)
It's just with headphones. I tried my sisters headphones, which worked fine in her iPod, and it remained crackly.

What's wrong with my iPod?

Posted on May 30, 2015 1:29 PM

1 reply

May 30, 2015 1:32 PM in response to SianyB

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack or other hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

iPod Touch 5 Sound Broken- crackling and overheating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.