Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

forgot iphone backup password. want to create new unencrypted backup on Mac

Lost iphone backup password due to crash of MacBook Pro. Restored MacBook from an older backup that did NOT yet have the current encryption password in its Keychain. Ooops!

Want to create new unencrypted iPhone backup on my Mac. It's okay to sacrifice previous (mostly encrypted) backups -- don't really need them -- but must create a new current backup ASAP from current state of my 6+, which is fine.

iPhone 6+ iOS 8.3 -> MacBook Pro mid-2012 OS 10.3.3 - iTunes 12.1.2.27

MacBook Pro, Other OS, mid-2012 Quad i7 16G RAM OSX10.10.3

Posted on May 30, 2015 12:26 PM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Steve Jolly

Hi Steve Jolly,

If I understand correctly you are uanble to backup to iTunes because you are unable to retrieve your Encrypted backup password from the Keychain. You should be able to use iCloud to backup and restore the phone using iCloud according to this article:

About encrypted backups in iTunes

Try using an iCloud backup instead. If you don't have an iCloud backup, you can make one.

If you wish to use iTunes instead, you will have to restore the phone as new according to the same article:

If you forgot your password, the only way to turn off backup encryption on your device is to erase your device and set up as new. Erasing removes all data from your device. If you don't want to erase your device, restore from an iCloud backupinstead.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

forgot iphone backup password. want to create new unencrypted backup on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.