Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mavericks error code -43

I am running Mavericks 10.9.5. While attempting to delete = drag to the trash, a "Pages" text file, I got the following error message from the trash folder:" the operation cannot be completed because 1 or more required items cannot be found. Error code - 43 .

I am using Pages '09,v.4.1. Neither the original file is accepted by the trash nor is its exported forms: .doc and PDF.

I am the administrator of this mac book pro.

I re-installed the OS 10 days ago because of start up issues.All worked well until the trash snag

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 30, 2015 1:22 PM

3 replies

May 30, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Sybilla Freeman

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1 to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

May 30, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Sybilla Freeman

Hi,Just to let you know this is my own reply. I rebooted the mac,it was so slow in starting up that I opted for a "safe boot". That worked. I then rebooted the normal way and all was normal. The trash was no longer empty:it had a folder of "discarded files" in it.No problem in emptying the trash.

I then dragged all the files to be deleted from my desktop to the trash and found out the trash worked normally.

My error code was -43. Hope this helps someone :-)

May 30, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Kappy

Hi,Just to let you know this is my own reply. I rebooted the mac,it was so slow in starting up that I opted for a "safe boot". That worked. I then rebooted the normal way and all was normal. The trash was no longer empty:it had a folder of "discarded files" in it.No problem in emptying the trash.

I then dragged all the files to be deleted from my desktop to the trash and found out the trash worked normally.

My error code was -43. Hope this helps someone :-)

Many thanks for your solution it is probably more permanent than mine :-)))

Mavericks error code -43

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.