Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync my iPad to a new computer without it erasing all of my previously synced books and PDFs?

I am switching my iPad to sync with a newer computer, one that's more reliable and up to date. I use my iPad for a lot of my reading, and so when I just went to sync a PDF onto it, an error message cam up that said "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones from this iPad and sync with this iTunes library? Music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones synced to "___'s iPad" from other iTunes libraries will be removed and items will be synced from this iTunes library."

I do not have all the files that I want on my iPad on this computer. Can someone tell me if there is a way to transfer all the files (books and PDF's mostly) onto this newer computer from my iPad and so it won't delete them off of it?

This is kind of a pain for just wanting some light reading...

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:23 PM

3 replies

May 30, 2015 6:00 PM in response to samsquanche

You are leaving out some important information like do you still have the old unreliable computer? If you do still have it, you can transfer the iTunes library from that computer to your new one. As Meg suggested, you might want to post in the iTunes for Windows forum assuming you are a PC user.

Here is Apple's support article explaining how to move the library to a new computer.

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

IF you no longer have the old computer, you can still transfer most of your content from the iPad into iTunes on the new computer. All iTunes purchased content can be transferred, but you might need a third party app to move the music that was ripped from CD's.

Take a look at this user tip which explains the basics of how to do this.

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

This is is a third party app that is supposed to be able to transfer the iPad content back into iTunes. I have never used it, but I have seen it recommended here so I pass that recommendation along,

https://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/

How do I sync my iPad to a new computer without it erasing all of my previously synced books and PDFs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.