Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone identify what has happened to basic text track rendering in QuickTime 7?

I have been looking through my library of QuickTime movies that make use of simple text tracks. If I recall correctly, QuickTime would import a simple .txt file and by default would give each line break 2 sec. of duration. You could then export "Text to Text" to have a .txt file with QT descriptors, edit , etc. re-import file.

There is something really weird going on. The text track seems to "jump out" of the movie dimensions. If you resize the movie window all kinds of rendering chaos. It's been some time since I looked at these so I can't say for certain what OS or QuickTime update caused this to happen. If you want to duplicate my experiment, just type three lines of text (Chapter 01, Chapter 02, Chapter 03), save the file, and open in QuickTime Player 7 (Pro). Only when you resize the movie window will you see the chapter text change.

Oddly, I have some vertical scrolling credit movies made with text tracks that still render correctly.

Any ideas how to correct for this text rendering issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 30, 2015 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 12:58 PM

Did you leave the Chapter Text track enabled? If so, then re-sizing the display may create conflicts between the defined text display area and the dimensions of the player display window. If the Chapter Text track is disabled, then the chapter info should only display in the respective QT X/7 Chapter menus as long as the video track is properly linked to the Chapter Text track in the QT 7 Pro properties window.

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Raymond Riley

Did you leave the Chapter Text track enabled? If so, then re-sizing the display may create conflicts between the defined text display area and the dimensions of the player display window. If the Chapter Text track is disabled, then the chapter info should only display in the respective QT X/7 Chapter menus as long as the video track is properly linked to the Chapter Text track in the QT 7 Pro properties window.

User uploaded file

May 30, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker wrote:

I suggested Chapter 01, Chapter 02, etc.. but wasn't specifically testing for chapter tracks. Sorry to mislead. I do know about having to disable the text track in Movie Properties for text tracks that will serve as chapters and linking the video track to text track or HREF tracks and other situations where you don't want the text to show in the normal view.

Here's what I'm seeing when you first import text with or without descriptors. You see the text track offset in a strange way, actually jumping out of the movie frame. All the other rendering junk is caused when resizing the movie, starting and stopping the movie, etc.. This screenshot is from a movie that only contains a single text track.

User uploaded file

May 30, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Raymond Riley

Here's what I'm seeing when you first import text with or without descriptors. You see the text track offset in a strange way, actually jumping out of the movie frame. All the other rendering junk is caused when resizing the movie, starting and stopping the movie, etc.. This screenshot is from a movie that only contains a single text track.

What is the defined display area for your text? If you haven't defined such an area, then try defining one using the default descriptors. Have never used "null" settings so I don't know if that is what might be causing the problem.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker wrote:

FOLLOW-UP:

Just tried creating a new file from scratch. File opened, played, saved as MOV, re-opened, and re-played normally in QT 7 Pro under Yosemite v10.10.3 on an iMac. Do you have a secondary system on which to run a corruption-conflict cross check?

I did take your suggestion and ran a test on a MacBook Air running Yosemite 10.10.3. The text track displayed normally with the usual QuickTime defaults.

Things get a bit strange from here. I looked at several other movies that had text tracks. Some appear and function as expected and others display the strange rendering. After comparing the QTScript, I discovered that any text tracks with {anti-alias:on} or {keyedText:on} would display correctly. I don't believe either of these properties are enabled by default so I should not have to add these descriptors just to fix the rendering problem. By the way, the default size of the movie frame was 160 X 48. You had mentioned seeing "Null" in a previous post. Was that pertaining to the frame size or text box? What tool do you use to see this setting?

If I had more time I could see if other changes or additions to QT Text Descriptors would have any impact on the text rendering correctly.

http://www.hscdsb.on.ca/pdf/publications/1/2/Text%20Descriptors%20QT4%20Pro.pdf

On the left are the versions with anti-alias and keyedText on. On the right same properties are turned off.

User uploaded file

Do you think I need to reinstall QuickTime Player 7 or just zap some preference files?

May 31, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Raymond Riley

After comparing the QTScript, I discovered that any text tracks with {anti-alias:on} or {keyedText:on} would display correctly. I don't believe either of these properties are enabled by default so I should not have to add these descriptors just to fix the rendering problem.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this info. And, as you indicated, those properties were not enable by default in my tests. I may want to look into this further when/if I have the time, so please post back if you learn anything new.

By the way, the default size of the movie frame was 160 X 48. You had mentioned seeing "Null" in a previous post. Was that pertaining to the frame size or text box? What tool do you use to see this setting?

That fits, player display window matches the default text display area. Have not seen "null" or zero values for height and width but was musing as to what might happen if I tried to use them. Ran additional tests later and entered zero values for both—not something I'd ever considered trying previously. It turns out QT 7 doesn't complain about either "null" (empty) or "zero" values here. Instead it simply instates the default 160x48 minimum values in both cases. And, while it does accept and save any non-zero values less than 160 and 48 respectively, the minimum display area opened in a player window has been 160x1 when 1 was the defined height. As to the software tool, I used TextEdit to provide "null", "zero", and "non-zero" values for the descriptors.

If I had more time I could see if other changes or additions to QT Text Descriptors would have any impact on the text rendering correctly.

Again, please post back if you learn anything of further interest.

Do you think I need to reinstall QuickTime Player 7 or just zap some preference files?

I would normally try the files under an alternate user account. If he files play correctly, I would then delete the preference file(s) for the non-working primary user account. If the files still play incorrectly under the secondary user account, I would normally uninstall the QT 7 app and associated files installed by the installer package and then re-install QT 7.

User uploaded file

Can anyone identify what has happened to basic text track rendering in QuickTime 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.