Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inconsistent info on how much disc space Apps are taking up

I got a brand new Macbook Pro 13" w/Retina Display running OS X 10.10.3. When checking "About This Mac" and then "Storage" it indicates my Applications are taking up 32.52 GB of storage. If I click on the Applications Folder and "Get Info" it indicates my Applications folder is taking up 9 GB of space. Which is correct? Is there something I can do so they indicate the same amount?

I just set up my computer and I cant imagine I am taking up 36 GB for Applications.

Posted on May 30, 2015 2:15 PM

2 replies

May 30, 2015 2:21 PM in response to WildBull

Spotlight- How to re-index folders or volumes - Apple Support

Sometimes the difference is because the disk needs re-indexing. Sometimes it's because the Applications folder does not contain all the files on the drive that are applications. Many of them are invisible or not in the Applications folder. Sometimes files are categorized incorrectly because there is no category for them in the Storage display, so they get dropped just about anywhere.

Inconsistent info on how much disc space Apps are taking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.