Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempted install of latest itunes on old computer results in problems

Hello. Although my wife has newer work computers, her home desktop (which she really only uses for itunes for ipod classic and an old iphone 4) is a Windows XP 32-bit machine. She hadn't used itunes in few weeks and today (when opening it) it prompted her to upgrade to the "latest" version of itunes (which she attempted to do). Unfortunately before the upgrade completed a warning message appeared stating that "the computer did not meet the specified requirements" and the update had to be aborted. Thinking all would be well she tried to open itunes and got the following message: "The procedure entry point CMTimeConvertScale could not be located in the dynamic library link CoreMedia.dll". Checking "ok" (on the warning box) brought up one additional box which read "itunes was not installed correctly. Please reinstall itunes. Error 7 (Windows Error 7)". She pulled up Control Panel Add/Remove programs and attempted to "repair" itunes but nothing seemed to change. Her installed version of itunes was (at that point) v11.2.0.115. I thought maybe "upgrading" to an older (but still slightly newer) version than v12 might help so we downloaded and installed v11.2.2.3. The results were the same (identical error messages). I found her itunes music folder and there are three "new" files that show modified as of today: (1) itunes Music Library XML, itunes Library ITL and itunes Library Extras ITL. I checked her previous itunes library files and the most recent one is dated 05/26/2014 (which seemed quite old). I figured her most recent (active) itunes library file probably still reflected some sort of update from the the attempted itunes 12 upgrade (maybe causing a problem). This XP computer is quite old but (although it will be upgraded in the next few months) I'd like to get her itunes working again. itunes v11.2.2.3 will be fine for now. Should I just unistall itunes (and all components) and reinstall v11.2.2.3? If so...(and I know her purchases are safe) is there a way to save her playlists at this point (or are they corrupted by the failed upgrade)? She said it is not a big deal and she can just make new ones but I'd like (at least) to try. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

PC, Windows XP

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:16 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading or need to revert to an older version.

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for advice on rolling back the database to a version compatible with the

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 3:16 PM in response to stonewood

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading or need to revert to an older version.

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for advice on rolling back the database to a version compatible with the

tt2

Attempted install of latest itunes on old computer results in problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.