Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Organize iTunes Albums By Artist And Then Album Title?

The problem I keep having is they stay unorganized b/c of Album Artist which is the space I use to create my playlists. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Posted on May 30, 2015 12:40 PM

6 replies

May 30, 2015 8:52 PM in response to blahblahihaveaquestion

The Artist and Album Artist tags are used by iTunes for grouping tracks into albums and (in conjunction with the corresponding Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist tags) for sorting. In particular, when using Albums view what you see is based on specific iTunes functionality associated with these tags. Therefore, if you use one or more of these tags for another purpose then iTunes will still handle them "as designed".

If you want to create metadata for some other purpose, including in selection criteria for smart playlists, it is much better to use a tag that does not have specific iTunes functionality associated with it (the Grouping tag is the most obvious one for this purpose, since its behavior is essentially "user defined").

How To Organize iTunes Albums By Artist And Then Album Title?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.