Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't install (Windows 7 x64)

Downloaded the 64-bit iTunes installer from the Apple website today (twice!) and when installing I get a message saying: "An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT,type="win32",version="8.0.50727.6195",publicKeyToken="[some thing, I didn't bother copying it]", processorArchitecture="x86"'. Please refer to help and support for more information. HRESULT: 0x80070308" If I click okay, that message appears again (except with processorArchitecture="amd64"), and if I click again, another message appear. It says "Service 'Apple Mobile Device Service' (Apple Mobile Device Service) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." If I click "retry", it shows it again. I can only click "ignore". It says the installation completed successfully, although when I launch it, I get another message saying: "Apple Application Support not found. Please uninstall iTunes and install it again".

I have tried launching the installer with administrative privileges, doesn't work, re-downloading the installer, doesn't work, installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, gives me the first error again, tried extracting AppleApplicationSupport.msi from the executable, gives me the first error again, and I tried downloading a 32-bit version of iTunes, but it is nowhere to be found.

Please don't post an obvious "list of common errors" link because it wastes my time. Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:42 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

The "for older video cards" version is a 64-bit installer for the core 32-bit code, the same as every 64-bit version of iTunes up to 12.1. It may provide a useful workaround. I've also seen suggestions that disabling the Windows firewall while installing iTunes may prevent the Microsoft.VC80.CRT error. Alternatively you could download the installer and physically disconnect during the install to see if that helps.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2015 3:42 PM in response to garirry

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

The "for older video cards" version is a 64-bit installer for the core 32-bit code, the same as every 64-bit version of iTunes up to 12.1. It may provide a useful workaround. I've also seen suggestions that disabling the Windows firewall while installing iTunes may prevent the Microsoft.VC80.CRT error. Alternatively you could download the installer and physically disconnect during the install to see if that helps.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

iTunes won't install (Windows 7 x64)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.