Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight does not find content in Pages

I just noticed that Spotlight is not finding text in Pages or Numbers documents. It's working on most everything else (.pdfs, Mail, Contacts, Evernote, OmniOutlines, etc.).

I do have Documents checked in Spotlight preferences.

Is there some reason Spotlight is not working on iWork files? And if not, what can I do about this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:13 PM

8 replies

May 30, 2015 8:58 PM in response to Roger Barre

Every one of my Pages '08, '09, and v5 Pages documents show the first page contents in Spotlight when passing a mouse over their names. If you have a document that begins with a blank page, the blank page will be shown, contributing to the belief that Spotlight isn't seeing that document.

In the spotlight search window, use this search feature: kind:Pages

If you want to see the path to the given file, press and hold the command key in Spotlight while the document content is displayed.

May 31, 2015 4:33 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply, but my problem isn't that documents are showing up in the Spotlight search but have blank first pages. The names of the docs are not showing up in the search at all.

I had a weird result from using "kind:Pages", however.

I tried looking in Spotlight for a search string that I knew existed in one Pages doc: "xxl200". Spotlight said "no results".

So I erased "xxl200" from the search field and started typing in "find:Pages", and the search results showed the Pages doc I was looking for, even though the search string "xxl200" was not in the search field.

What's the proper syntax for using "find:Pages"? Does it get entered before the search string, as in "Find:Pages xxl200"? Or is there some punctuation or spacing I'm not doing right? This is moderately frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.

May 31, 2015 4:52 PM in response to Roger Barre

Roger,

I have a Pages v5.5.2 document on my desktop. The first paragraph of the Invisible Man contains "wintry day."

In Spotlight, I can simply search for "wintry day" and it finds the above Pages document. It also finds the source Word .docx document that contains more of that story. If I didn't care about the search scope, I could live with the results of just a "wintry day" query. To be more specific, and confine my search to just Pages documents, the Spotlight query would be:

"wintry day" kind:Pages

which more accurately only returns the single Pages document match. If I replace Pages with Word, then I only see the related .docx document.

Spotlight does not find content in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.