Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

original keyboard and mouse for mac pro 1.1

Hi,

I have a first generation Mac Pro 1.1. What model of keyboard and mouse that originally came with? I am using the model A1048 for keyboard and A1152 (Mighty mouse) for the mouse. The computer does not recognize this model of keyboard (when I do the test and click on the key on the left of the left Shift key, the keyboard cannot be identified).

Any help will be appreciated.

Optimus.

Posted on May 30, 2015 7:25 PM

8 replies

May 31, 2015 6:02 PM in response to rapheek

That keyboard should not have any difficulty. Those keyboards though did have the unfortunately tendency to get dirty under the keys, and hard to clean.

It may be the inability to register the key is causing the problem. One thing to note, the front USB port was under powered. You might want to try on the rear port of the computer. Lastly, try putting the mouse (if wired) in a separate port.

Jun 1, 2015 9:25 AM in response to a brody

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your help.

a brody, I did clean the keyboard myself. Shouldn't be any problem. I did try many time to press that key, but it didn't work. I did plug it in on the rear USB port, didn't make any difference.

kaz-k, the version of the OS I'm using is Mac SO X Lion 10.7.5.

The hatter, I will give your idea a try.

One more question though. Can I use a non-apple keyboard and mouse on that desktop?

My best regards to all.

Jun 2, 2015 1:48 AM in response to rapheek

For the benefit of everyone I also have seen cases whereby an older Mac e.g. a Macmini3,1 does not recognise certain startup key combinations on a newer aluminium style keyboard. My theory is that the firmware on older Macs does not 'know' the newer style keyboards and it is not until the OS has booted and loaded drivers that it becomes fully supported, until that point it probably is being treated as a generic USB device.

I therefore do keep an older plastic keyboard around 'just in case' for this sort of situation. However you are using a plastic keyboard so I would not expect this to be a problem as if anything the keyboard is older than the Mac.

original keyboard and mouse for mac pro 1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.