Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro key mechanism broken

Hello, I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 model, 13 inch (A1278). The "H" key on the keyboard came off, and in an attempt to reinstall it, one of the hooks on the mechanism broke. It won't hinge anymore. Is it possible to get this fixed at the Apple Store Genius Bar, and if so, how much would it cost? If I order a replacement mechanism from a 3rd party, would it be able to work with the key cap I have now? Or do I have to use the key cap provided from them?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2015 3:31 PM

Yes it will be pretty easy to fix at the genius bar for less than $50 usually.

5 replies

May 30, 2015 3:57 PM in response to tomas159

There is a parts charge for a new keyboard, but I don't know what that is. The reason for the cost is that you broke the component below the key. I don't believe they can replace it for less than the cost of a new keyboard. All Apple service shops have a minimum charge regardless of what the repair is or how long it takes.

Your best bet is to take the computer in for a service check and a repair estimate. That should be free.

Macbook Pro key mechanism broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.