Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure DNS with Comcast service?

hello --

i have the following setup:

• Static IP with Comcast service
  • Comcast cable modem in bridge mode connected to an Airport Extreme
  • My domain registrar is medietemple: example.com
  • I want to use a mac mini running server and making it accessible from the internet

I am not sure if i understand properly what i need to do. i set an A record with my domain registrar for mini.example.com pointing at the static IP provided by comcast. if i do a reverse DNS lookup it returns something like somenumber.hsd1.ca.comcast.net. a regular DNS lookup resolves the IP address to mini.example.com.

is that all i need to do? it seems to me that i would have to do something with Comcast as well, but i am not certain and would appreciate some feedback from someone with experience with this.

thank you in advance for your time.

patrick.

===

Mac mini, OS X Server, null

Posted on May 30, 2015 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 10:28 AM

For reverse resolution, you need a PTR record for the IP pointing to the domain name.

4 replies

Jun 1, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Patrick J

Hi Patrick

As you have a static IP with Comcast, you must be on a business account. Simply call their help line, talk to technical support and ask them to set up a reverse DNS to mini.example.com. If you are lucky, it's done within a couple of hours.

I have a similar setup with them. Make sure they get the spelling right...

Good luck

LL

How to configure DNS with Comcast service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.