Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a few songs

I'm trying to add just a few songs to my iPhone at my dad's house. iTunes won't let me because with iPhones you can only connect to one iTunes library, which is the one at my mom's house. The thing is, I'm using the library connected to my account in both aspects. I'm literally using the same iTunes library but it won't let me add songs. Does anyone have a way around this?

iPhone 6

Posted on May 30, 2015 6:34 PM

10 replies

May 30, 2015 6:40 PM in response to Neonlimabean

You are not really using the same library. The library exists on the individual computer, not necessarily just in the iTunes login. You can log into the same iTunes account on both devices, but the computers identify the libraries as different, they have a unique ID. That is how iTunes know the device is synced to a different library. Also, if you are syncing music, you cannot add a few tracks from a different computer, without telling it to sync the rest of the music as well. That is how syncing works. If the library at Dad's house is exactly the same as the one on the computer at Mom's, you could go ahead and sync. While it would delete all content, it would then sync it back, if you have the exact same music in each library. However, eventually you would have a problem when you keep overwriting the libraries like that.

May 31, 2015 7:13 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

That makes sense, but maybe you can help me with my other related problem. When I sync my phone to iTunes, it adds a bunch of songs I don't want on my phone. I can't delete them from iTunes because they are my moms songs but I've tried everything and the unwanted songs still add themselves when I sync. Ive tried unchecking Sync Music, doesn't work. I've clicked Manually Manage Music, doesn't work. I've done the whole business with only adding checked songs, doesn't work. I'm at my ropes end .

Jun 1, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Neonlimabean

You should be able to choose to sync the device with selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. In some cases you may also have some manually selected items which can be found if you scroll all the way down on the device's music tab. It may be that one or more options on this page are active even though the library is different. Check and untick anything that you don't want.

If you're going to want to be able to use the computer at either house in future copy your library to an external drive and take it with you. See Make a split library portable for details.

tt2

Jun 2, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Neonlimabean

Well something isn't making sense. It should be possible to sync the device with empty selections of the different types of media content from your library, and ensure the options to show all music and videos are off under Settings > iTunes & Apps Store so that no purchased links are included. After which you can choose exactly the playlists etc. that you do want to sync, and sync just those.

tt2

Adding a few songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.