Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display Goes Black Even After Firmware Update

Last year I began having issues with my Thunderbolt Display. The screen would go black even though the connection seemed to be working fine: for example, if I would open FaceTime the light on my built-in camera would turn on and if I opened iTunes and played a song, the sound would come through my display's built-in speakers. The screen, however, would remain black. I updated my display's firmware at the end of 2014 when it was released. Since the description references this issue I thought that this may solve my problems. In January of this year (2015) my screen went black again. I tried everything to see if I could resolve the issue. I followed the directions on Apple's support site and "reset [my] Mac's parameter RAM and SMC."

I decided to call Apple's support center to see if they could offer any more suggestions. Although the person I spoke to was very friendly, she just read verbatim the suggestions listed on Apple's support site. She spoke with her manager who was unable to offer any other suggestions. She told me my only option at this point is to bring it into an Apple store to be serviced. I do not live anywhere near an Apple store so this, unfortunately, is not an option. There is a company in my town that is "authorized" by Apple to repair their products. I've read about this issue occurring for other people too so I know this isn't an isolated issue.

Before bringing my display in to get repaired I decided I would try one last thing. I formatted my computer's hard drive to see if that would fix my issue. After formatting my hard drive and plugging my display back in, I was surprised to find that everything worked again. For the next four months I had no issues with my screen going black. Unfortunately last week the issue started again. The screen was black, however the display's camera light would come on if I opened FaceTime and audio would play through the built-in speakers if I played a song in iTunes. I unplugged my display from my surge protector and from my MacBook Pro for a couple of hours. When I plugged everything back in the screen came on. It worked for another week until my screen went black again today. This time my display stopped working while I was using an application. Normally the issues with my screen would occur after waking my computer up.

This is becoming very frustrating and I'm hoping that someone has a suggestion for me to try. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve something as time consuming as formatting my hard drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm using the following hardware/software:

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)

Thunderbolt Display (27-inch), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 30, 2015 9:54 PM

33 replies

Apr 19, 2017 7:21 PM in response to overskyet

Well, If I didn't read it here, I may not have believed it...but, it REALLY worked! My now 5-year old T-Bolt Display started blacking out often (even when I was monitoring its drinking habits—no binge boozing). I was using the standard two-in-one cable (power + T-Bolt) that came with the display.

Then I read this post, bought an Apple 6' T-Bolt/T-Bolt cable ($39.99), hooked up the display power only, ran the T-Bolt cable from display directly to my 2011 MacBook Pro, and voilá—NO black-outs.

Price of a new display $1,000

Price of recommended repair $800

Price of listening to the Apple Community, and buying the $40 cable: PRICELESS

Thanks you guys!!!

Jul 16, 2017 5:31 PM in response to overskyet

This is a serious issue and I can't believe we're expected to purchase an additional cable to plug and Apple monitor into Apple hardware!!

So, having the same problem on a 2 year old monitor and a 2 year old Mac Pro. Essentially the problem is that when the thunderbolt plug in the MacPro heats up the monitor blanks out (shocking design). I'm also running an old Cinema HD monitor with as thunderbolt adaptor and that runs beautifully. The separation via the adaptor must be whats keeping it cool.

The way I see it it's a hardware issue and Apple should set up a replacement on these monitors or give their customers an additional cable free!

Sep 1, 2017 1:36 PM in response to crewmarker

Just a late update on this as it may save people some time and money and I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me.

After a couple of months the monitor started flickering again. I tried using it (Cinema HD) on my MacBook Pro as well and same thing. I was using the Apple certified thunderbolt adapter as stated in the post above.

My fix this time... bundle the cable up and wrap it in tin foil... yes, you read correctly... looks like a shielding problem... looks like someone is cutting costs in manufacturing.

It's not a sexy solution but it works for me... would be interested if it works for anyone else.

Jun 6, 2015 9:25 PM in response to gnarlsbailey

gnarlsbailey: Thank you very much for your reply! I hope you are able to find a solution to this issue. My Thunderbolt Display has been working since I posted my last message. I know it's only a matter of time before the issue comes back. When you have a moment, please let me know if the new Thunderbolt Cable is a solution. I may have to buy one too if that's the only way to resolve this problem. The last few times I've had issues with my display have been while I was using QuickBooks 2015. I'm not sure at this point whether this was just a coincidence or if there is a connection. Just out of curiosity, do you use QuickBooks on your computer? Thanks for your help!

Jun 8, 2015 5:52 PM in response to overskyet

Thank you for the ping on this!

The new Thunderbolt cable has 100% fixed my issue. I haven't had a single issue with the display randomly blacking out and not turning back on since installing the new cable. My display is 4+ years old. Would I love to still be able to use the built in cable? Of course. However, $29 is a reasonable investment to get it working like new again. I fully expect to have to replace the power supply within the next few years, so I will just enjoy the way things are at this moment 😉.

Jun 11, 2015 6:56 PM in response to mpaynter

Sorry for not initially making this more clear. The new OWC Thunderbolt Cable I purchased has essentially replaced the built in Thunderbolt Cable on the display. I now have the built in cable sitting off to the side of the display and the OWC cable is the one that is facilitating the connection between my iMac and the Thunderbolt Display. Does that make sense? This is the cable I purchased in case you were wondering: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/CBLTB1MBKP/

Jun 11, 2015 7:05 PM in response to gnarlsbailey

gnarlsbailey: No worries! Thank you for clarifying, but I understood what you were referring to. You have one end of the new thunderbolt cable plugged into the thunderbolt port on the back of your display and the other end plugged into your computer. The power supply cable from my thunderbolt display still works even when my display goes black. Are you using your thunderbolt display's power cable or are you using another power cable instead?

Thanks, again, for your help with this! I agree with you that $29 is definitely a reasonable investment, especially considering that a repair could cost several hundred and a new display nearly $1000.

Jun 12, 2015 7:23 PM in response to overskyet

I am so upset with Apple. I had two 27" Thunderbolt displays to go out/go to black on me at the same time. The one display was from 2012 and Apple replace the Logic Board fro $150. The second display is a 2014 and now after testing the Logic Board and the cables I was quoted a repair price of $800 plus! I have searched online and there have been many, many complaints about this display. If you are still having a problem with your display do not let Apple get away with this. It took them 3 years to acknowledge that there was a problem with the 2011 Macbook Pro logic board. Tgis has cause me downtime and countless hours on the freeway and at the Apple Store! I should have to buy a warranty for a product with three main components, Apple should be able to get it right.

Jun 12, 2015 8:09 PM in response to JamesRay0113

I completely understand, JamesRay0113! I am very frustrated with Apple too. After purchasing a $1000 display you shouldn't have to pay an additional $800 to repair it a year later. I hope gnarlsbailey's suggestion helps. With two monitors you probably will have to buy a thunderbolt dock in order to daisy chain your monitors together with new thunderbolt cables. It isn't as cheap as buying a cable, but it will definitely be cheaper than an $800 repair.

I have been using Apple products for over ten years and this is the first time I've had a bad experience with their products. I've read about this issue on several websites too, so I know it isn't an isolated issue. The Apple representative I spoke with sounded surprised to hear I was having issues even though the description for the firmware update in 2014 clearly states that it "addresses a rare issue that may cause the display to go black." Apple definitely knows that there is an issue with this display, but they aren't admitting the extent of the problem.

I hope you are able to find a solution to this problem. I doubt they'll offer any solutions any time soon.

Good luck!

Jun 12, 2015 8:39 PM in response to overskyet

I really appreciate you responding to my frustrated comments. i too have been using apple products for many years. I have been very loyal even when the cost of the products are not really justified. My buddy who introduced me to the Mac recently purchased two beautiful 37" LCD displays for $179 each at Best Buy. Here Apple is selling a faulty product which they are aware of for $1000. It's really ashame. But there are some good companies still out there. I purchased a Kawai VPC 1 Piano Controller and after 2 years the paint chip...very minor. Kawai replaced the piano controller, brand new.

???And why is Apple saying that I need a new LCD display when the picture is beautiful before going to black???????

Thunderbolt Display Goes Black Even After Firmware Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.