Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app queries for iPhoto users

So I know there is this movement of transition from the iPhoto app to the Photos app in all Apple platforms - my query is that many people (especially those with multiple devices) have limited iCloud space (only 5GB) therefore I am still using iPhoto to manage my photos between devices. Perhaps I am understanding this wrong but I have the following which require some clarification of:

1. Does "Photo stream" still exist in Photos?

2. Do the photos / videos take up space in iCloud? In that case 5GB would not be enough in most cases for all users.

3. Will iPhoto still stay in the future updates? Is it a must to transfer all photos to the Photos app across my Mac, iPad and iPhone?

4. How does it work if I am still using iOS 7 on my iPhone? (as I'm using an iPhone 4 which doesn't support iOS 8) Does that mean photos / videos I took from my iPhone will not update in my other devices using Photos of iOS 8?

Thank you for your help in answering the above.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2016 2:09 PM

1.Yes

2. Photo Stream items do not count against iCloud Photo Library space.

3. Nobody besides Apple can say what Apple will do in the future.

4. I don't know.

4 replies

Mar 30, 2016 2:35 PM in response to kl01

My Photo Stream still exists. It will be hidden, if you enable iCloud Photo Library. But if you do not enable iCloud Photo Library, you will see a "My Photo Stream" album in the Photos.app.

My Photo Stream is free, as R C-R pointed out, but because it is free, it is limited to max 1000 photos in iCloud and and only the last 30 days of photos in iCloud. And videos are not supported in My Photo Stream - use Shared albums for videos.

For the limits see: iCloud: My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing limits

How does it work if I am still using iOS 7 on my iPhone? (as I'm using an iPhone 4 which doesn't support iOS 8) Does that mean photos / videos I took from my iPhone will not update in my other devices using Photos of iOS 8?

My Photo Stream even uploads from my iPod Touch with iOS6. Any photo I take with the older devices will upload to iCloud and I can see it in Photos for Mac and on my iPhone with iOS 9.

Mar 30, 2016 4:20 PM in response to kl01

1 - yes

2 - no for MyPhotoStream and iCLoud Photo Sharing - yes for iCLoud Photo Library to best way to keep multiple devices in sync (the iCLoud charge is low and IMHO well worth the cost for the capability)

3 - No one know but very unlikely - it is very likely that iPhoto will not work after some future update - tomorrow is the last day to order print products using iPhoto

4 - Yes - MyPhotoStream requires IOS 7

My Photo Stream FAQ - Apple Support

LN

Photos app queries for iPhoto users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.