Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long to upload photos to iCloud

I have just decided (24 hours ago) to switch on the iCloud library for my Mac. I have about 10,000 photos.

Photos says "updating", the progress bar hasn't moved at all and only a few of them have appeared in the cloud so far.

How long does this take? Do I have a problem? I don't want to switch it off and lose any progress, but nor do I want to leave it on if nothing is ever going to happen?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 31, 2015 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 3:29 AM

It will depend on the speed of your network. my library with 40000 photos finished the upload within one day on a very fast ethernet connection, but if you have a slow Wi-Fi, you may have to wait more than week for the upload to finish.

Sometimes corrupted media files will block the upload.

Can you tell from the last photo that uploaded to iCloud what the next photo or video should have been? Inspect the item in Photos. Try to edit or export it. Is it possible?

Some items cannot upload to icloud - videos with an unsupported codec, referenced images, where the original image file is missing. Are your photos stored on drive, that can go offline? For example a NAS?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 3:29 AM in response to Faz16

It will depend on the speed of your network. my library with 40000 photos finished the upload within one day on a very fast ethernet connection, but if you have a slow Wi-Fi, you may have to wait more than week for the upload to finish.

Sometimes corrupted media files will block the upload.

Can you tell from the last photo that uploaded to iCloud what the next photo or video should have been? Inspect the item in Photos. Try to edit or export it. Is it possible?

Some items cannot upload to icloud - videos with an unsupported codec, referenced images, where the original image file is missing. Are your photos stored on drive, that can go offline? For example a NAS?

Jul 16, 2016 2:57 PM in response to léonie

I have the same issue as the first person: been in "Updating..." for more than a day except that I haven't seen a single photo or video get uploaded yet to iCloud. I tried your suggestion of trying to edit/export the first file in my library as well as the last file (I wasn't sure where the auto-upload will start...the oldest or newest photo?).

My connection is wired and showing 120 Mbps so that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Any other ideas?

How long to upload photos to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.