Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to keep magsafe pins up?

Hi and hello the apple community,

Just yesterday, 2 of the pins in my MagSafe connector has fallen, i've managed to get them back up (it was a burden to) and now i need them to STAY UP. If I plug the charger back in it will just go back down, any ideas on how to keep them up?

Oh and don't tell me to go to an apple store to get it replaced, here in New Zealand -

there is no Apple store

MacBook Pro Early 2011

2 GHz Quad Core i7

Intel HD Graphics 3000 / AMD Radeon HD 6490M

8 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3

1440 x 900 Display, 15.4 Inches

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 1:18 AM

13 replies

May 31, 2015 1:27 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

You're right, I could go to Sydney but I'd rather not waste money on plane tickets, maybe I could organize a trip with family or friends so I have an excuse to go there, but for now I'm putting that option aside. I've also heard (like OGLETHORPE) That there ARE counterfiet chargers, its either fix this one or bid farewell to my beloved MacBook Pro ;_;

May 31, 2015 4:16 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

YES! Wait - No one is answering.

AND THEY ANSWERED! - WOOHOOO! But what did they say? We cannot help you in this situation.

Well - unless someone can tell me how to keep those darn pins up, with tape, super glue, or whatever - I'm in a desperate situation.

I need to write an essay for the benefits of Organic Chemistry, it's due in 2 weeks. And I need this charger to stay alive.

New Zealand is technically known to most as the "Isolated Planet" because of it's geographical location, it's kinda hard to ship things here, hence the overpricing of most things.

Anything? Anything at all? **** you Apple, why can't you think of a better charger design?

May 31, 2015 11:21 PM in response to BLUEBUTTER

OK ranting at us is not going to help.

This is a OEM Apple charger? Examine the pins under extreme ( At least 15X. ) magnification. There should be a .2 mm gap between the pin radius and the plastic body. Is there?

OGLETHORPE said:

"Those pins are spring loaded"

So you can push the pins in and they won't return? Is there some kind of crap on the pins/charger connector?

If there is it might be possible to clean it off by immersing in a solvent. Depends on the crap.

Water soluble? - Boiling deionized H2O. Hope you unplug the charger first.

Not? Try 90% isopropyl alcohol. (Careful flammable,)

Other solvents are likely to damage the plastic.

Blow clean with compressed air, hair dryer and leave overnight to dry.

Wait

" i've managed to get them back up (it was a burden to)"

Did you damage the pins or plastic surround?

If that happened the above is probably not going to help.

" keep those darn pins up, with tape, super glue, or whatever"

Non of that is going to help.

So if you have the pins up and carefully insert the connector, it won't charge?

May 31, 2015 11:33 PM in response to spudnuty

I genuinely apologize about my behavior, I'm just having a bad day. Sorry.

Yes it's and OEM charger.

I've tried pushing the pins around with gentle pressure, they noticeably pop up but not enough to charge.

The charger, and the charging port are both clean - no crap.

I haven't (or don't think I have) damaged anything, but I think there might have been a slight chance I did something.

If I gently, just subtly put the charger in while overcoming the magnetic force, it only charges for about 2-3 seconds before stopping again.

And again, sorry for my ranting.

80%

May 31, 2015 11:42 PM in response to BLUEBUTTER

".....Sorry."

OK it's understandable to be frustrated.

So answer the questions I asked.

Hindsight but:

"New Zealand is technically known to most as the "Isolated Planet" because of it's geographical location,"

I'd always have backups if I was in that situation.

"it only charges for about 2-3 seconds before stopping again."

So we need to get the pins more mobile.

"they noticeably pop up"

Pop up quickly and are even?

"it only charges for about 2-3 seconds before stopping again."

Do you mean changes to green from amber? or goes black?

Can you lay hands on another charger?

Have you tried resetting?

Reset SMC

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Reset NVRAM

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Jun 1, 2015 8:41 PM in response to spudnuty

Thank you my friend, you've just saved me from all troubles.

I tried resetting SMC and I leap with joy knowing that my charger is starting to work now.

I guess it's because the magnetic force is pulling on the pins (so they still work) but the computer is having trouble getting into contact with it.

Thank you SOOOOOO much! You saved my day.

- BLUEBUTTER

Jun 1, 2015 11:06 PM in response to BLUEBUTTER

Absolutely glad to help.

So nurse and baby your charger along until you can get a replacement sent in. Those pins should move freely and something if definitely wrong w/ the charger connector.

The fact that the connector was messed up probably sent the SMC for a loop and thats why it needed to be reset.

Good luck and thanks loads for the checkmark!

How to keep magsafe pins up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.