Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for FCE 4.0.1 update on OS X Yosemite

I bought FCE a few years ago, but my HD crashed recently and I've had to start everything over from scratch. Now, I have Yosemite 10.10.3. I just loaded FCE back onto the computer, but I can't figure out how to update to 4.0.1. Does Apple still provide a download? Why isn't it available anywhere??

I just need more presets to edit video. I compressed some footage to prores 422, and there's nothing that'll support that in FCE. If anyone has a format preference that will work, let me know that, too! Always good to hear someone's tips.

I saw on some other posts some guy talking about entering a command into a command line, and I don't even know what a command line is. If anyone could help me out, I would be very appreciative.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 6:57 AM

11 replies

Jun 7, 2015 8:56 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thank Ian,

I don't know what I shoot. I'm between an old iPhone, a new iPhone, an old point-and-shoot Canon, a new Panasonic camera and an old Flip cam. I've had all kinds of problems with formats for years. Spend much of my time using QuickTime to convert formats. I think I'll just give up and pop for the new Final Cut Pro.

Thanks for the advice.

Ed1941

Jun 8, 2015 12:07 AM in response to Ed1941

I would advise you to try iMovie first.

The "new" Final Cut Pro X is based on iMovie and has often been described as "iMovie on steroids".

Many people consider that as it's free, iMovie can't be much good . . . and they are completely wrong.

It is a a very competent editing app and many editors using FCP X would be better off using iMovie . . . for most people FCP X is overkill.

However, be warned that both apps are radically different from FCE and will require a little re-learning.

If you are interested, email me (hover cursor over my name for address) as I have some simple introductory video tutorials you could download free to let you see what you might be letting yourself in for.

Jun 8, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thank Ian,

I don't know what I shoot. I'm between an old iPhone, a new iPhone, an old point-and-shoot Canon, a new Panasonic camera and an old Flip cam. I've had all kinds of problems with formats for years. Spend much of my time using QuickTime to convert formats. I think I'll just give up and pop for the new Final Cut Pro.

Thanks for the advice.

Ed1941

Jun 8, 2015 11:07 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian,

Two questions. Just checking when you say "All your video, from the various sources you mention, should work straight off in iMovie/FCP X" Do you mean iMovie as it come loaded onto my computer will open all the formats I've used in the past without conversion.

Second, can you have multiple audio tracks in iMovie? Sometimes I use 4 or 5 tracks in FCE?

Looking for FCE 4.0.1 update on OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.