Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch scratched

while doing some Training with Apple watch on, I slitely rubbed the Screen of the watch on a hard suface. unfortunately I discovered that this caused a scratch to the Screen.

is there a way to either remove the scratches or replace the screen

Watch Sport 42mm, Watch OS 1.0.1

Posted on May 31, 2015 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 7:09 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about the sport with Ion X Glass. It's not really going to be something you'll ever be able to rub out. It's not like a plastic lens that could be polished really. You could try a finish polish, the least abrasive as possible to lightly polish it and minimize the look. Some polishes have fillers that might hide it. This is the biggest downfall of the Sport vs the Watch edition. Sapphire crystal is dang near impossible to scratch without another hardened cutting device. I've had my Omega Seamaster watch for 18 years. It doesn't have a single scratch on the crystal and I wear it working on anything around the house. I have dragged it by accident against cinder block walls every and didn't pick up a scratch.

I am sure like the iPhone and iPod that any and every manufacturer in Japan will offer screen replacements like you find on eBay.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Wajihg44

I'm assuming you're talking about the sport with Ion X Glass. It's not really going to be something you'll ever be able to rub out. It's not like a plastic lens that could be polished really. You could try a finish polish, the least abrasive as possible to lightly polish it and minimize the look. Some polishes have fillers that might hide it. This is the biggest downfall of the Sport vs the Watch edition. Sapphire crystal is dang near impossible to scratch without another hardened cutting device. I've had my Omega Seamaster watch for 18 years. It doesn't have a single scratch on the crystal and I wear it working on anything around the house. I have dragged it by accident against cinder block walls every and didn't pick up a scratch.

I am sure like the iPhone and iPod that any and every manufacturer in Japan will offer screen replacements like you find on eBay.

May 31, 2015 9:51 AM in response to Wajihg44

Be careful if you're thinking about trying to rub the scratch out.

I've read elsewhere that some scratches might actually be micro scratches in the oleophobic (fingerprint / oil resistant) coating, rather than scratches in the actual Ion-X glass.

Rubbing with anything that is abrasive will almost certainly remove or damage this coating.

Please also note that the Apple Watch manual explicitly states that the coating will wear off over time.

"The front of Apple Watch is made of Ion-X glass (strengthened glass) or sapphire crystal, each with a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic (oil repellent) coating. This coating wears over time with normal usage. Cleaning products and abrasive materials will further diminish the coating, and may scratch the glass or the sapphire crystal."

From Apple Watch manual > Safety, Handling and Support > Important handling information

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

Apple watch scratched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.