Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with learning about 'synthesizers' using Logic X?

Hello,

I put the word synthesizers in the title of this thread in quotes on purpose for the simple reason that there are so many different types of synthesizers...so, I am using the word 'synthesizer' generically. Any suggestions as to what type of synthesizer is best to start with for learning more about them? I do not have access to the actual hardware, but, would be using virtual ones within Logic X and some third parties I have (e.g. Diva, Arturia (V-Collection)). I am aware that there are quite a few types of synthesizers to begin with...additive, subtractive, frequency modulation, granular, etc....but, that's about it with regards to my personal understanding (which, by the way, makes learning about them all the more confusing). Up until now, I have just been playing around with the presets of the virtual synthesizers I own. However, I would like to delve deeper. So, in short, where should I begin???

Many thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), null

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 9:37 AM

Hi,

I think a good place to start would be the controls/parameters basic to most synths, including the EXS24II sample player.

This would include but not limited to.

Waveform Generator (Square, Sawtooth....etc)

ADSR Envelope generator (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release)

Cutoff and Resonance

LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator)

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)

One of most basic synths in Logic is the Ensemble Synth, the ES E

It doesn't have a full ADSR, only an AR.

I would start here and learn some basic modifications, like modifying a string patch to sound somewhat like a synth bass.

I'm presuming the ES E comes with Logic X, (I'm on Logic 9)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Tangerine_Dream

Hi,

I think a good place to start would be the controls/parameters basic to most synths, including the EXS24II sample player.

This would include but not limited to.

Waveform Generator (Square, Sawtooth....etc)

ADSR Envelope generator (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release)

Cutoff and Resonance

LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator)

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)

One of most basic synths in Logic is the Ensemble Synth, the ES E

It doesn't have a full ADSR, only an AR.

I would start here and learn some basic modifications, like modifying a string patch to sound somewhat like a synth bass.

I'm presuming the ES E comes with Logic X, (I'm on Logic 9)

May 31, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Tangerine_Dream

Looks good, nothing you can't learn on your own with a bit of research but looks like it's well thought out, although I cringe when I see something like this in the ad copy. FOR MUSICIANS, NOT PHYSICISTS.

Personally, I like using my mind and ears, it's the difference of discovering something and being told something, however, it takes more patience and you have to make mistakes. The only time I seek help or guidance is when I've exhausted all the possibilities I can think of.

Jun 3, 2015 7:46 PM in response to Tangerine_Dream

Hey Tangerine

For some very good free tutorials on LogicProX try the YouTube vids by MusicTechHelpGuy… https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXmi76euGSyzX8KMPAHJPyOSZy5w4CsV9

Synth lessons start around #48 and goes on from there. Josh also has several hours on the ExS24 (I think) somewhere on his channel.

He does a very good job. There are several others out there, but this is where I recommend people start.

I would also recommend you grab a midi keyboard if you don't have one, really makes it so much easier. Logic has some great synths and software instruments, worth the cost of Logic just for them.

Hope this helps, Greg

Help with learning about 'synthesizers' using Logic X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.