Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed: Facetime keeps dropping connection on Time Capsule

Hi all,

I am in need of some help. I have several Apple hardware like iphone 4, ipad 3 and Imac(2013) all connected to a time capsule. I have fiber internet, 500 Mbps.

When I use FaceTime the connection keeps dropping, sometimes after 1 minute, sometimes after 5 minutes. It's totally unpredictable.

Can you help me with this issue, since FaceTime is very important for us?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on May 31, 2015 6:21 AM

5 replies

May 31, 2015 3:32 PM in response to dirkwb13

The apple routers on fibre are very fragile.. It has to do with gateway being outside the subnet of the public IP granted by the system.

I think for now you just need to buy a better router.. it doesn't need to be expensive.. one I use is WNDR3800.. which you can buy second hand for <$50.. they are no longer available new.. or a TP-Link WR1043ND v2 which might be about $50 new. Flash it over to gargoyle firmware.. this is just a simple upgrade.. no complicated nonsense.. I cannot help further but my email is open if you run into issues..

Then bridge the TC to the router and you can continue to use it for wireless and backups.. etc. but take away its routing issues.

Help needed: Facetime keeps dropping connection on Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.