Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain access windows close

I recently restored my user folder, System Library, and System Applications folder from Crashplan, all with "original permissions." Now, when I open Keychain Access and try to show a password or secure note, it briefly shows the content and then the window closes immediately.

I am using OS X Yosemite on a 2012 MacBook Pro. Is this a permissions issue?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on May 31, 2015 6:38 AM

18 replies

May 31, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Eric Root

Okay, I restored just the ~/Library/Keychains directory from an older Time Machine backup, and this fixed the earlier issue with the windows closing (that same issue also froze Safari any time it tried to access a password from the keychain).

Now, I am unable to log in to iCloud, even though I am using the correct password (it currently works on iOS devices and icloud.com), and I have read that this is still related to Keychain issues. Sorry that the problem has sort of changed suddenly.

I have read+write permissions on Keychain Access, and I own everything in the Keychains directory.

May 31, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Cyberholmes

Furthermore, it seems that some other applications are still having trouble accessing info from the Keychain. Safari can now autofill passwords, but every time I reconnect to my wireless network, it asks for the password info again, despite my always checking "Remember This" and the password existing in Keychain Access. So, at least iCloud and network connections are still having issues for some reason.

Mar 2, 2016 4:54 PM in response to Cyberholmes

I'm having the same problems on a brand new Macbook Pro 15" running El Capitan.

It feels like something else is accessing keychain access (things must be doing that all the time what with iCloud/ wifi/ iTunes, etc) and when they do or when they complete, the window I'm looking at will simply close. The windows stay up for a short time, but there's some variance... between .5 of a second to 4 or so seconds. Still not long enough to get to the secure note or the password.

Mar 28, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Cyberholmes

I'm seeing this same issue as well. I have not done any restoring of keychains or user folders etc. The issue just started showing up within the past month or so, I'm assuming after a system update at some point.

When I open the Keychain access app and then double click on a secure note from my list, it requests a username and password, once i provide it, it shows me the contents of my secure note in a new window. but it will spontaneously close the window with or without any interaction on my part. sometimes it happens almost instantaneously, sometimes it will happen within a few seconds, but It is impossible to read my notes, or click inside of them to edit. Is there a problem with this application on El Capitan?

Mar 28, 2016 1:22 PM in response to LovesSleep

Yeah already have all my email accounts set up as IMAP. I tried quitting mail and then opening keychain access. same issues. also tried restarting and never opening mail. same issues still. For that matter i even tried isolating the computer with no internet access. same issues still show up. This seems like a regression defect in the keychain access application to be honest. it just showed up one day. like there is some sort of security setting internally that wants to close dormant windows, but is being triggered way to soon.

Keychain access windows close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.