Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new 2TB time capsule will not work with OS X photos

I bought recently 2TB T/C , because i want to put my system OS X photos on it, (300GB )- I have no space ON my MBP's

my iPhotos library is already on my 2TB time capsule, but it errors if i try and move the iPhoto library to a OS X photos SYSTEM saying OS X photos requires OS extended . so much for syncing. iPhotos requires OS extended but my 2TB T/C info says the format is apple share. I have tried this many times over the last two week with no JOY. is their any way of reformatting the T/ C without losing My 4 MBP backups and iPhoto library. thanks graham

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), mid 2010 17" 2.8ghtz, 250 SSD,

Posted on May 31, 2015 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 7:37 AM

The drive will need to be repartitioned into Mac OS X extended in disk utility. Make a backup first.

6 replies

May 31, 2015 3:22 PM in response to grahamyoung001

You cannot change or repartition a Time Capsule internal disk.

You can back it up.. use the archive disk to a 2TB min USB drive plugged into the TC. This drive must be formatted on your Mac to HFS+.. and you can simply run the archive.. it will take many hours.. up to a day if the disk is full.. but start before you go to bed.. once started the computer does not need to connect or be on.

User uploaded file

Running iphoto from network is not recommended.. indeed it is most thoroughly discouraged. You will corrupt it.

You should run iphoto library from external drive if your Mac has small internal drive.

What the new photo app is like from library storage we are not yet aware.. since it is much more icloud orientated.. painfully so from what I read.. it will hopefully work better on a network drive as well.

May 31, 2015 5:44 PM in response to LaPastenague

Many thanks for your POINTS - i find your comment very useful. but I m now getting bit confused,

I recently bought the 2 TB airport extreme, because i was running out of room on my MBPs as my photos where taking up 300GB . I put backups of MBPs on 2TB TC and now only have 450 GB left . my iPhotos library is their, its seems now pointless of using OS X photos after all. making my T/C disc corrupt by using it wirelessly, or even keeping iPhotos their , does sound frightening, especially with such valuable stuff.

I had this idea of keeping all 4 MBPs , iPhones, iPad and iCloud storage- I pay per month , Connected via airport extreme with TC, a second airport extreme with no T/C and airport express , OS X photos was the so called syncing answer, but it appears NOT.

Buying another 2TB of external USB storage does make me feel ripped off. especially when you see OS X photos keep going on about seamless syncing TO ALL YOUR APPLE DEVICES.

May 31, 2015 5:53 PM in response to grahamyoung001

Syncing is fine when you have decent internet upload speeds.. in the case of most of the world this is simply not true.. most people in Australia have 800Kbps upload on a good day with nothing else running.. storing 300GB of photos in cloud storage is nonsense..

But I simply do not know enough to tell you if the new photo app has fixed issues with network storage.. ask in the photo section of the discussions.

May 31, 2015 6:16 PM in response to LaPastenague

cheers for your interest,

I dont think the speed is an issue because I have about 22 MBps wired and drop to about 19.5 MBps upload on 5Ghz wireless . I don't want put ALL my photos but a selected 100 GB or so on the iCloud drive , which is another issue because I'm trying to sort out because its turning out to be very UNSELECTIVE and deletion is a nightmare . BUT your point about OSX photos issue with network is very valid even the tech guys at apple store yesterday where VERY flummoxed and pointed out that iCloud drive is in beta , foolish me for thinking otherwise . "OS X Photos as only just come out of beta" They pointed me towards the apple discuss.

but thanks very much , any way . I got to get some sleep its 02.15 am ill have another go tomorrow. but from what you say it need a complete rethink. ta

new 2TB time capsule will not work with OS X photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.