Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring ownership of a mac

My just inherited an iMac, currently running OS 10.5.8, from a recently deceased relative. We have that relatives login so my son can use the computer as is but I'd like to actually transfer ownership to my son or to myself (my son is 14). I'd also like to upgrade to the most recent OS. Should I just create a new user account for my son or is there a process to actually transfer ownership?

Thanks,

Ray

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 31, 2015 8:02 AM

7 replies

May 31, 2015 8:21 AM in response to lrporternc

Due to licensing restrictions, it is best to simply erase the entire hard drive and use the install disks to reinstall the OS. You can then set it up using your name and Apple ID and update depending on the model.

Making a new user account is not the right way to transfer ownership and violates the licensing agreement.

Jun 1, 2015 8:54 AM in response to babowa

This computer was owned by an elderly gentleman (4 days short of 94 when he passed) and we have been unable to locate any install disks. We've been helping the executor distribute personal effects so we've had the chance to search fairly thoroughly. Can I generate install disks from the system menu?

On a related topic, we doubt the deceased intentionally used iCloud but we need to make sure nothing sensitive was inadvertently saved to the cloud and we probably need to have his Apple account (if he had one) deleted. The executor who is not technical at all has asked me to take care of those details. Is there a contact point at Apple to deal with this sort of thing?

In answer to flowerst, the machine is an all-in-one iMac with an aluminum housing. The keyboard and mouse are white. Does this mean I can upgrade to Yosemite?

I'm a Windows developer but in 30+ years in the profession, I've never had cause to become familiar with Apple world. ;-)

Thanks,

Ray

Jun 1, 2015 9:33 AM in response to lrporternc

Macs only work with the original install disks to reinstall the original OS - you can call Apple and by giving them the serial number, they'd be able to send you replacement disks (however, that would be expensive). And yes, you can probably upgrade; however, keep in mind that a machine with an older processor, and having slower and the minimum RAM needed, it will not be an optimal computing experience.

I believe a better idea would be to buy the retail Snow Leopard disk, and update that to its latest version 10.6.8. That was a solid OS which will run older software and run happily on less RAM. The disk is available here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

As for Apple and a possible Apple ID - I do not have a direct contact; you'd need to write to their corporate address found on this page:

http://www.apple.com/contact/

From what I've read previously, they require extensive proof.

Jun 1, 2015 10:34 AM in response to babowa

Thanks, I'll do that. OS 10.6 is all we need. My son needs Chrome because Safari doesn't seem to work very well with Google Docs which his school uses extensively and Chrome now seems to only be available for OS 10.6 and higher.

Most public agencies and utilities only require a death certificate to close existing accounts and I have his death certificate. We don't need to recover anything from his account -- we just need to closed and deleted.

Thanks for your help,

Ray

transferring ownership of a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.