Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I prevent unauthorized recording of my keynote presentation

I present at different locations and never know who is using image capture (Camtasia, etc.) without my knowledge. Is there a way from within my presentation to protect myself and prevent this from happening? I can't find any simple fixes in Keynote itself. Is there a DRM program or something? Thank you.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Keynote

Posted on May 31, 2015 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 11:29 AM

You can use a password to allow the presentation to be opened: Document > Document require password to open.

However once opened, nothing can prevent any thing that is displayed or heard on a computer from being copied using the various screen capture software.

So never give presentations to other people and always delete presentation files after you have finished.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 11:29 AM in response to dfp mbp

You can use a password to allow the presentation to be opened: Document > Document require password to open.

However once opened, nothing can prevent any thing that is displayed or heard on a computer from being copied using the various screen capture software.

So never give presentations to other people and always delete presentation files after you have finished.

May 31, 2015 12:55 PM in response to dfp mbp

You cite Camtasia as a source of concern. This is a screen capture app and there are many others like it such as ScreenFlow. Even the free QuickTime Player X can now capture the screen. So, would I be correct in assuming that your presentations are delivered to computer screens as in a webinar or conference app such as Bb Collaborate, Adobe Connect etc.?

If that's the case, then there is little one can do beyond moral suasion and copyright saber rattling. Members of the audience can record the presentation as a video file, not a Keynote file. Thus, they don't have access to the specific assets that make up your presentation nor the techniques you used to combine them as you did. They have only what was audible and visible.

If that's not the case, perhaps you can provide more details on how your audience receives your presentation.

BTW, many audiences ask the speaker for a copy of their slides. A common response is to export to PDF and supply that document. This is not only easy on all concerned but it does protect much of the hard work it took to produce the presentation. Still, there are apps such as PDF to Keynote that will create a Keynote file containing the slide images (only).

Eve in the F2F environment, one can use an iPhone to record what is seen and said. There is even a periscope-like device that allows covert recording while holding the phone level.

May 31, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Frank Lowney

The Keynote presentation is played from a Mac and projected onto a screen. The image capture program, Camtasia now but who knows what in the future, is recording the lecture from the computer in the podium. I have no control or knowledge of whether the image capture is on or off. My thoughts were to put Keynote in presenter mode so the podium monitor only displayed a time and the screen had the actual presentation. Or, require that the host facility package the image capture of my presentation with some DRM software to decrease the chance of my work being pirated. Environment does not ealily allow for periscopes, we have caught people using iPhones or other devices, etc. I am more worried about unauthorized recording of my work by the facility who thinks Camtasia or such is a right and the audience is intellectually honest and will not share the presentation beyond its intended audience or use. In other words, they take no concrete steps to protect me or my work.

Jun 1, 2015 11:54 AM in response to dfp mbp

It sounds as if negotiating the terms of your presentation with the promoters and the folks who operate the facilities could be the most fruitful. The host might put the screencast video on a web server and then restrict access via private URL (security by obscurity) and/or a password (using an .htaccess file)

Another possibility is to use iTunes U Course Manager to set up a private course. Attendees would be given an access code that would enable them to apply for admission. You would approve or disapprove each application so you'd need a list of attendees. If you are not associated with an iTunes U institution, the 'course' will be limited to 50 persons. Affiliated instructors have no limits.

In an iTunes U course, you can share all sorts of learning materials, including videos.

BTW, there is usually some visual cue as to whether the screen is being recorded though there are ways to hide it. With ScreenFlow, for example, there is an movie cam icon in the menu bar when the app has been launched. When recording is on, there will be a dot in the middle of it. When paused, that dot will blink on and off. The recording can be stopped using this menu bar item. I'm sure that Camtasia has something similar.

Jun 1, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Frank Lowney

iTunes U may be a solution. The problem is the site is a school and they are demanding that all lectures be recorded with them having the final say of who can or can't opt out of having a lecture recorded. Serious copyright and intellectual rights issues and they won't listen to reason, " if you don't want your lecture recorded you must be hiding something...there is no legitimate reason for opting out of image capture...." Thank you for your input.

Jun 2, 2015 6:10 AM in response to dfp mbp

The problem is the site is a school and they are demanding that all lectures be recorded with them having the final say of who can or can't opt out of having a lecture recorded.

Easy, do one of the following:

1. make a speech with minimal graphics presented, then if they want the full version, charge them a fee for each copy that you provide which they can distribute
  2. charge them the going rate for the cost of your presentation with distribution rights, get them to sign a contract allowing them to copy and distribute the presentation
  3. do not do business with them.

The choice is yours.

how can I prevent unauthorized recording of my keynote presentation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.