Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open an old pages document transferred from my old Mac?

I am trying to access some old pages documents that i have transferred from my old macbook to my new macbook. When I try to open it tells me the document is too old and that I need to save them to pages 09. I don't have pages 09. How can I access these documents? any help in basic terms very welcome!

Thanks

Sarah

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 12:58 PM

13 replies

May 31, 2015 1:21 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Is there a way to get Text Edit or another application to save these as one of their file types?

In some older versions of OS X of the bygone era, this was possible in limited instances...

Another idea may be to email them and see if more options appear in the recipient computer

to save them when downloaded from email. (or change them to PDF?)

Like George, a little curious...😝

May 31, 2015 1:39 PM in response to K Shaffer

eMailing is not going to change their format.

Pages has always been its own rather incompatible format, which I have been warning about since it first came out.

Apple nicely demonstrated why what was "not a problem" actually was, when they brought out the even more incompatible and unparseable Pages 5 and the several subsequent format changes that have played havoc with Pages files since. To the point now that only the very latest Pages running on the very latest OSes can open the latest documents. Ignoring the huge world of Windows.

Peter

May 31, 2015 2:42 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

So one cannot save the Pages document as a PDF and then email it, to and from the same

user between accounts? While not able to convert a result back to a Pages document, the

original may be converted to something else by another means, for re-use anyway.

While I do have Pages (older iWork version and a later one in Mav 10.9.5) I seldom use them.

And some older Macs have AppleWorks, a few Office for Mac, etc. TextWrangler, and others.

On the other hand, image format and other kinds of saving methods can be very handy; if not

necessary to share them across a common software or in use with a group using one software.

From Mac OS6.0 to 9.2.2, was a tolerably difficult shift; early OS X to 10.3.9 was an evolution.

Tiger 10.4.11 proved that near perfection was possible in an Apple OS. Then it wasn't until

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 for near perfection to arise again. Yet recent things don't look that good.

Jul 20, 2015 9:34 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

You can Export or Print to pdf from Pages, as you can in any OSX App, but that is a clumsy way to transfer files you wish to edit.

Pages '09 is still the best and most compatible file format.

We can not repeat it often enough, unless you need/want to exchange files with iOS 8 devices, stick with Pages '09.

Peter

I am going to take a course on 'Understanding Which Versions of Pages can open Pages Files"

And why not 😟

Jul 22, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Sarah2015

Frankly, I guess I have to go back to using Word. Something as standard as the dictionary/thesaurus in the edit menu is no longer accessible. Add to that the inability to open older documents just means that the redesigners don't really care about the users. Further, avoiding upgrading doesn't work because now they force you to upgrade by interrupting your typing with a dialog box demanding you choose. I used to prefer Pages over Word. But no more. Apple is going backwards.

Jul 22, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Csound1

2, Pages '09 for everything running Pages '09 and prior and Pages 5.5.3 for everything after both running on Yosemite.

And possibly a third, iWork for iCloud which is supposed to patch any loose versions, but in practice doesn't or is so clumsy that you may as well forget it.

Which doesn't help anyone else.

Everyone at Apple who has had anything to do with all the v5 iWork Apps should frankly be ashamed.

Peter

How do I open an old pages document transferred from my old Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.