Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a used iPhone 4s from a friend, how do I activate FaceTime

So my friend gave me her old iPhone 4s, and I removed her Apple/iTunes account & added my own. Now I'm trying to use FaceTime & iMessage, but I can't activate them! In the settings it says "Waiting for activation" and I'm not sure how to activate it. The thing is, it still has my friend's old number, maybe that's the problem? I mean there's no service, but it still has that phone number in the settings of the phone and in FaceTime & iMessage.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.3, Unlocked, used, previously activate

Posted on May 31, 2015 11:06 AM

1 reply

Jun 2, 2015 11:30 AM in response to chatterann

Hello chatterann,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Since you are still seeing your friend's phone number when trying to sign in with iMessage and FaceTime, then it looks like they didn't follow the proper steps to remove all of their information from the iPhone. I highly recommend going through the directions in the article below, that way your phone will behave as if it was brand new.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

I got a used iPhone 4s from a friend, how do I activate FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.