Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i reset late 2011 macbook pro to factory settings?

I wish to reset my late 2011 macbook pro to factory settings for selling. It came with cd's for os x 10.4.8 (tiger) which i have. I currently am using yosemite 10.10.3. When i try to use Cmd R at the start up i get a symbol- circle with a diagonal line through it and can't proceed (which means no access) therefore i can't access disk utility. I have file vault enabled, should it be disabled?- is that an issue.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 2:16 PM

10 replies

May 31, 2015 3:22 PM in response to kekako

First, did you check the model list regarding Internet Recovery? Because that is what you'd need in order to reinstall the original OS from Apple's servers.

However, I just realized this:

Your subject line states a late 2011, and now you say you've got 10.4.8 - there is a discrepancy: late 2011 machines came with Lion (or, if a bit earlier in the year, Snow Leopard), but not Tiger.

So, before proceeding, we need to know exactly what model/year/OS version yours came with.

And yes, you need to disable filevault.

And, if these are the correct install disks, then once you boot with it (holding down C key), you should first see a language selection, and on the next screen, you should have Utilities/Disk Utility in the menu bar.

Jun 2, 2015 6:22 AM in response to babowa

model is macbook pro late 2011 not on that list. file vault is disabled. It was either snow leopard or lion. i upgraded to mountain lion then mavericks and now yosemite. The discs i have are not from this mac, so forget about that. Cmd and r still brings up a grey circle with a diagonal line through it- can't get passed that.

how do i reset late 2011 macbook pro to factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.