Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to startup with USB Hub connected

I've been having a problem lately with my iMac 27" (Late 2013) getting passed the startup chime while my 10 slot USB Hub connected. Connected into the hub is 6 external hard drives, an external Blu-Ray drive, Lightning to USB cable, and a USB extension cable that goes into one of the powered slots that I use for misc. devices. For the most part, it just takes my iMac a while to startup when it works properly, but every now and then, it won't startup properly at all until I startup with the USB hub disconnected. So here's what I'm wondering:

1. Should I look for a USB hub that has 10 powered slots, or does one even exists?

2. Is there something I can do to make sure this doesn't happen, because I do need that many USB devices connected at once, at least the 6 drives.

3. Is there such a thing as USB hub that connects to a Mac via Thunderbolt instead of USB?

Posted on May 31, 2015 1:53 PM

16 replies

May 31, 2015 1:58 PM in response to djluis2k7

You need to do some troubleshooting before assuming it's the USB hub. It could be the hub but it also could be a cable or one of the devices connected to the current USB hub. Remove all devices from the Hub and startup with the hub only, if it successfully boots then it's likely one of your devices. You will need to add each one by one until the problem comes back.

Jun 1, 2015 4:56 PM in response to djluis2k7

You have 4 USB ports on that Mac. With one for the Blue Ray drive you can daisy chain 2 drives each in the other 3 ports. You'll still have 2 Thunderbolt ports available to use with USB adaptors for what ever else comes along.

It might even be faster that way since the USB hub that you have may not be USB 3 but only USB2.

Oct 13, 2015 4:08 AM in response to carmine64

The usb ports on the mac are 0.7 to 1 Amp. Calculate yourself: the iPad takes the max out of its connection, the iPhone takes about 1 amp, the blueray also I guess. So follow the advice of Old toad to solve the power shortage.

There are no powered 10 USB hubs afaik, but you could use one self powered 2 USB hub and the disks on the non selfpowered 10 hub.

Unable to startup with USB Hub connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.