Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I easily change the 'created' date on MANY hundreds of scanned photos?

I recently completed a project scanning seven photo albums worth of pictures and negatives onto my PC, and then transferred them to my MacBook. My problem is that the dates the photos were created are nowhere near the dates they were actually taken. Is there an easy way to change the date created (perhaps somehow OUTSIDE of iPhoto)? I'm fairly new to Apple, I'm hoping to find out that there is a way to edit the dates similar to the way you can in Windows Explorer. Alternatively, if I would just keep the dates created as they are, is there a simple way to organize them so they at least APPEAR to be in chronological order with all my other photos?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on May 31, 2015 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 3:17 PM

In photos you can select several photos at once and adjust the date by shifting it by a fixed increment.

From the Image menu > Adjust Date and time.

That would help, if you scanned your photos in chronological order.

You could also try to run a script to change the date and time of several photos to a fixed time, see this user tip.

Photos for Mac: Batch Change the Date and Time to a Fixed Date

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Beezner

In photos you can select several photos at once and adjust the date by shifting it by a fixed increment.

From the Image menu > Adjust Date and time.

That would help, if you scanned your photos in chronological order.

You could also try to run a script to change the date and time of several photos to a fixed time, see this user tip.

Photos for Mac: Batch Change the Date and Time to a Fixed Date

Jun 3, 2015 7:50 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for this script, léonie... I am using Photos 1.0 in OS X 10.10.3

...however, I have followed your instructions exactly and keep getting the following error message:

error "Photos got an error: AppleEvent handler failed." number -10000

When the error occurs the word "date" (last word in the following line) is highlighted, as if this is the cause of the error.

setfirst_dateto (thedateoffirst_image) asdate

Please advise. Thank you.

Jun 3, 2015 11:59 PM in response to dysfunction-junction

error "Photos got an error: AppleEvent handler failed." number -10000

That annoying error pops up frequently and seems to be a timeout error.

Scripting is not very robust. I found all the scripts we posted work best when used on small sets of photos at a time and when the photos are selected in the "All Photos" album.

You could also first try to make sure the file format of the photos supports the date change at all. Some scans may not have an EXIF tag for the capture time. Then try first to select all scans and use the Photos command "Image > Adjust date and Time" and shift the date by a second or so.

Then try the script again.

Nov 9, 2016 10:40 AM in response to Beezner

You can easily do this using terminal. For example, this command (type and press enter)

touch -m -t 200101010000.00 /Users/Genius/Dropbox/Photos/Album/*.jpg

will change all dates to 01/01/2001 12 AM for all files ending in .jpg that are located in the Album folder in my dropbox.

If you need to just change a couple files. you can also drag in all files after the date and press enter. It will go to all files and change their dates.

Nov 9, 2016 11:40 AM in response to raigovind93

The touch command will change the file modification date and the access date of a file, but not the file creation date. And also not the embedded EXIF tags with the capture time, when the photo has been taken.

Touch is great to modify the metadata of files, but to change photographic metadata of image files we need a tool that handles EXIF tags.

How can I easily change the 'created' date on MANY hundreds of scanned photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.