Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A1302 has virtually not internet connection

I have an A1302 that I bought with a bad hard drive. I replaced the hard drive in it and it runs great! But my internet is virtually nonexistent. We have AT&T Uverse and I have it connected to the cable box in the bedroom for it's internet connection. Airport utility says the TC has an internet connection and gives me the IP address. But when I try to go to a webpage, nothing will load. I did a speed test and my ping was 802, and .01 download and .00 upload speeds. Is my problem with trying to connect it to the cable box instead of the modem in the basement?

Posted on May 31, 2015 4:32 PM

13 replies

May 31, 2015 6:09 PM in response to Ben824

We have AT&T Uverse and I have it connected to the cable box in the bedroom for it's internet connection.

Sorry but what is a cable box??

If the modem is in the basement .. that is the Uverse I am guessing??

If the network connection to your bedroom is using EOP or homeplug or ethernet over coax (forget the code for that).. then it could be slow..

what speed do you get with the computer plugged directly into it?

What mode is the TC setup in? It should be bridged.. and the computer and ethernet that goes to the main router can both be plugged in via the LAN ports.. nothing in WAN.. it should give you full speed of the connection.

May 31, 2015 6:53 PM in response to LaPastenague

The Time Capsule has been set to bridge mode the whole time. It errors in setup every time I have set it up as its own network and as an extension and it fails every single time.

Cable box, as in the set top box for the TV. I can plug my playstation or computer into the back of the box with an ethernet cable and get an internet connection. But when I connect the Time Capsule it will not take that connection and then broadcast it.

May 31, 2015 7:04 PM in response to Ben824

Cable box, as in the set top box for the TV.

Ok.. is this plugged into the coax for modem.. or in some other way direct to the Uverse??

An easier question might be what happens when the Uverse is turned off.. do you still get cable TV??

If you plug your computer into the set top box.. I want to know what internet speed you get from it in standard testing to ookla etc.. and is it giving your computer a public or private IP address.. if public then the TC would need to be in router mode not bridged.

May 31, 2015 7:21 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ok so the Uverse equipment setup in the house is each TV has a set top box with a coax cable. The main TV has the one with the DVR and then each feed off of this box for the DVR, I know unrelated but I am trying to give you an accurate picture of the set up of the equipment in the house. Now the Uverse modem is in the basement because that is the only active phone line location in the house. The modem is a wireless router as well. This modem has a coax cable as well as a phone line. Now each set top box has an ethernet port and when plugged into a computer or my playstation, I can receive and internet connection. With my computer plugged into the set top box via ethernet the Ping is 30 ms Download 16.35 Mbps and Upload 1.92 Mbps

Jun 1, 2015 4:48 AM in response to LaPastenague

Here is the screen shot of the ethernet plugged into the set top box. Sorry for the delayed response, it became late and I had to get to bed. I am leaving for work and will be unable to try anything again until the end of the day when I get back home. But if you suggest something I have not tried, which I think you probably will, it will save me a trip to the Apple Store to see if they think the TC has become defective.

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Ben824

Ok.. this is fine..

I would say that bridge is correct setup.. but I can suggest a few things to test it.

Reset the TC to factory.

Redo the setup with ethernet from LAN side of the TC plugged into the computer.. as well as wireless turned on.

Run through the standard setup.. and then check that it is in bridge.. and you are set to create a wireless network .. this should be a simple name and with WPA2 security and password.. all pure alphanumeric, no spaces and short. eg name the unit TCgen2 and wireless TCwifi.

If it is still working very slowly.. change the DNS to manual setting using the google values.. not 192.168.1.254 which is the set top box router..

And you can swap the WAN link then to LAN..

If you have issues.. I suspect the TC might still have issues.. if you replaced the disk then it might also have power supply going bad.

Jun 3, 2015 11:56 AM in response to LaPastenague

Ok I have good news! The TC is in perfect working order! I took it to my parent's house where they have a 4th Gen TC connected directly to a Comcast modem and I unplugged their TC and plugged my 2nd Gen into their modem and set up as new. It connected and ran perfectly so my problem is getting the connections with the set top box at my house.

I followed the steps you gave me earlier except the bridge mode and manually setting the DNS since I was just trying to see if my TC is fauly.

YOu you said to use the Google values for the DNS at my house, what are the Google values? I have never done this before.

Jun 3, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Ben824

Google public DNS.. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Do it on the computer.. Simply put the DNS values in manually to DNS.

DNS change will not work on the TC in bridge.. you must use it in NAT mode which will give you a double NAT error or in Static IP mode.. this is a good way to do it but a bit tricky to setup..

As a simple test.. just put the TC in double NAT mode.. ie it is default NAT to 10.0.1.1 and it will mostly work ok.

Just try it and give me a few screenshots of the TC setup .. and I might be able to pickup why it is slow.

Jun 3, 2015 6:08 PM in response to Ben824

Ok.. as long as you are not doing anything too unusual on the Mac it will work in double NAT.. let me be clear .. it is wrong.. however it is not an issue for many people and apple seems to actually recommend it.

To get a green light.. click on the double NAT error and select ignore.. The error doesn't go away.. but like burying your head in the sand.. you don't need to look at it.

User uploaded file

A better fix some point in the future would be to buy a switch or a normal router.. the apple may simply be unsuitable here.

Jun 5, 2015 12:06 AM in response to Ben824

Modern internet is not just one way traffic.. there is a lot more interactive data going back and forth.. NAT has a big problem.. that ports are required need to be opened.. and the method of opening is called upnp or nat-pmp (apple method).

This helps interactive stuff work.. the hassle is that upnp only works on the first NAT router.. it cannot then open ports on the second router.. so your interactive stuff is blocked..

Web pages don't fully load.

Internet Games don't work

Incoming voip calls don't work.

VPN fails.

Uploads to almost any site can fail.

For almost everything you do.. it will more than likely be fine. But then it will go stupid and you will have issues..

Using static IP is one way around it..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

It can be a bit tricky to setup though. Especially as you seem to have little control in the TV box.

A1302 has virtually not internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.