Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mixing newbie issues

Hi Everyone,

I am using Logic Pro 9, and my project file consists of two tracks: one stereo track with is the backing music (mostly just an acoustic guitar), and a mono vocal track I recorded using an Audix VX-5 mic plugged into an Apogee Duet two. I am in the mixing phase of the project and I cannot get the vocal track to sound the way I want (think Stevie Nicks on Landslide). Instead, it sounds like a cheap karaoke machine. I have tried inserting a couple of different Mono to Stereo reverbs and delays in the Send loop during mixing. I did not try all of them.

Can some kind soul give me some guidance here? Should I be using a specific type of delay? A reverb? Some starting values?

The other thing I cannot figure out is, once I have the mix the way I want it, how do I save it to an audio file? I believe that is called mastering?

Thank you so much for any help!

Kory

Mac Pro

Posted on May 31, 2015 3:43 PM

13 replies

May 31, 2015 6:23 PM in response to octopi

Thanks, octopi, I will read it now. Just to be clear, I am new to Logic, not DAW in general. I have been recording and mixing for many years, but almost all instrumentals. I try to steer away from mixing tracks that have vocals because I have never been able to get them to sound very good. But in this case, I'm stuck with this project and I decided to invest the time to learn how to do it right.

I do realize that mixing and mastering is a massive complex art and science. I was just asking for some starting points in terms of which effects I should use.

Jun 1, 2015 12:04 AM in response to JD321

Listening to the example you cite (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov1SOhwfbys), comparing just the first five seconds of the vocalist entry (0:14-0:19 of the video) to the instrumental intro prior to her entry, one can tell that the vocal track has effects applied, rather significantly, independent of the backing instrumental.

One of the things Logic is noted for is its included Patches, out-of-the-box; I suggest you investigate Logic's Patches already put together for vocals, which should result in a learning experience in the construction of a Vocal Patch, and might turn over a useful Patch (or two) for your purposes.

For example, look at the list of audio track "Voices" Patches in the Library. Choosing the "Classic Vocal" Patch, you can see that it has the following effects applied:

'Channel EQ', 'Compressor', 'Channel EQ', 'Tape Delay', and 'Pedalboard'. It is also sending some of the signal to the Auxilary Bus 1, where 'Space Designer' and 'Channel EQ' are applied.

User uploaded file

Opening up the 'Space Designer' reveals a 2.6s Vocal Plate setting:

User uploaded file

Compare the above Patch to the "Bright Vocal" Patch, which includes the 'DeEsser' and 'Exciter' effects, and has an additional Auxilary Send to Bus 2:

User uploaded file

The 'Space Designer' effect on one of the Auxilary Busses has the '0.1s Short Ambience' setting applied:

User uploaded file

Additional Voice Patches are found elsewhere in the library, like the 'Female Creamy Lead Vocal' found under Legacy>Logic>06 Voice>02 Female Voice:

User uploaded file

...or the 'Female Basic' Patch, found under Legacy>GarageBand>Vocals:

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2015 11:05 AM in response to JD321

Thanks, JD321, that is the exact type of information I was looking for.

Yesterday, I found this link and it was very helpful:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/articles/logictech.htm

I was able to get a much better sound by adding a compressor, EQ, spreader, and a touch of reverb.

I tried playing with patches, but when I clicked on the Library tab, all I could see was the pre-sets for the last plug-in I had in the Send loop. Once I removed all of the plug-ins on that channel, I can now add patches. Makes sense and you probably don't want both inserted at the same time.

Kory

Jun 1, 2015 11:48 AM in response to KoryH

I tried playing with patches, but when I clicked on the Library tab, all I could see was the pre-sets for the last plug-in I had in the Send loop.

The Library can show various content, from named Patches, to specific settings for individual effects, but one key to understanding the accessing of all that content is the use of the 'BLUE TRIANGLE', located to the left of the Channel Strip settings.

The following article includes some description of the 'BLUE TRIANGLE':

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-blog/2014/06/26/logic-pro-x-library-contro lled-by-mysterious-triangle.html#.VWyopymd7lJ

Jun 1, 2015 12:25 PM in response to JD321

Thanks, JD321. One more question and I promise not to bug you any more -- at least for today. :-)

We did multiple takes of the vocal tracks. As excepted, none of the tracks are perfect, so I want to take the best parts of each track for the final. Is there a tool that allows be to cut a portion of a track and move it to another track at the paste position. Cut and paste can be used, but it's hard to line it up exactly. There was a mention of a Scissor tool in one of the articles I read, but I wasn't sure if that was just another name for Cut & Paste.

Jun 1, 2015 1:35 PM in response to KoryH

Before you ever add effects, typically you may first need to clean up the audio track, removing noise artifacts, cut/paste arranging (as you mention) and even pitch shifting some areas.

A 'double click' on the audio region in the track opens the audio file editor. Click the 'Show/Hide Flex' icon, and the pull-down menu to the right of that icon provides 'Flex Time' adjustment, and where 'Flex Pitch' is enabled.

Jun 1, 2015 2:07 PM in response to KoryH

KoryH wrote:

Thanks, JD321. One more question and I promise not to bug you any more -- at least for today. :-)

We did multiple takes of the vocal tracks. As excepted, none of the tracks are perfect, so I want to take the best parts of each track for the final. Is there a tool that allows be to cut a portion of a track and move it to another track at the paste position. Cut and paste can be used, but it's hard to line it up exactly. There was a mention of a Scissor tool in one of the articles I read, but I wasn't sure if that was just another name for Cut & Paste.

It's called "Comping" and Logic has whole sections of the manual devoted to it... BUT FIRST.

In Logic's preferences make sure ALL of the Advanced Tools are enabled, that way you're actually using the full version of Logic rather than Garage Band Pro.

Then read this:

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcp317d758e

Jun 1, 2015 3:25 PM in response to JD321

Thank you, guys. You've been most helpful. Yes, I did do all of the normmal pre-mix tasks, except the combining. I will give it another go.

Enabling the advanced features in the Preferences did make a big difference. I would read things in the manual that I could not find in the actual software itself. It was making me crazy.

Jun 1, 2015 4:17 PM in response to KoryH

The "simplified Garageband Pro mode" is one of the most stupid/condescending/foolish (pick 2) "improvements" Apple has done to this software. It's the one single item that confuses users most when trying to work through tutorials and/or the user manual. The general attitude reflects a disdain for their customers intelligence. While the complaints have been many I haven't seen one user appreciate the dumbed down version of Logic.

Mixing newbie issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.