Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mailed off iphone to apple for battery repair, but I have maybe 4 screws missing from the phone...

I just mailed my phone off to an apple store to be repaired for a battery issue. I'm aware that there are 2 screws missing on the metal plate and the bottom screws that hold the phone and the screen together in place are missing. I'm under a warranty, will they still repair my phone? If not, if I replace the missing screws & take it back... will they then repair it?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on May 31, 2015 4:08 PM

41 replies

May 31, 2015 5:02 PM in response to tamiajackson

tamiajackson wrote:

Yes, I kept the tracking #. & what do you mean the address they furnished me? & the phone was opened for a screen replacement. However, the person lost 3 or 4 screws. I had planned on getting them fixed, but i didn't think twice about it until after I mailed it off for a battery repair under warranty.

So it's more than just missing screws. You've had the screen replaced. We can now say, with some assurance, that Apple will not repair your phone. They will know you have opened it because they will see that the screen was replaced.

May 31, 2015 4:23 PM in response to tamiajackson

tamiajackson wrote:

I just mailed my phone off to an apple store to be repaired for a battery issue. I'm aware that there are 2 screws missing on the metal plate and the bottom screws that hold the phone and the screen together in place are missing. I'm under a warranty, will they still repair my phone? If not, if I replace the missing screws & take it back... will they then repair it?

Why are you missing the screws? They don't just fall out on their own. If you opened the phone, Apple will know, regardless of whether or not you replace the screws.

May 31, 2015 4:36 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I know they don't. & I've read many people's articles about their phone missing screws when they got it. If a phone is working perfectly find without the certain screws... what exactly is the problem. The reason it was sent for repair has nothing to do with the screws, s I don't see why they wouldn't still repair. Also, you said if I replace them, they'd know I opened the phone. How? If I schedule a repair service... how could they possibly know if everything is in place? Especially if I take it to another apple store?

May 31, 2015 4:44 PM in response to tamiajackson

tamiajackson wrote:

I know they don't. & I've read many people's articles about their phone missing screws when they got it. If a phone is working perfectly find without the certain screws... what exactly is the problem. The reason it was sent for repair has nothing to do with the screws, s I don't see why they wouldn't still repair. Also, you said if I replace them, they'd know I opened the phone. How? If I schedule a repair service... how could they possibly know if everything is in place? Especially if I take it to another apple store?

Yes, they can tell if you have opened the phone, even if you put the screws back. If you send it in for repair or take it to an Apple Store for repair, they make a record of that transaction. So, if you then take it to another store, they will be able to see a record of overtime the phone has been submitted for repair.

To the best of my knowledge, they do not just replace screws.

May 31, 2015 4:48 PM in response to KiltedTim

So there is basically no chance for my phone to be repaired by apple is what you're saying? Because, some people are saying how they've had a few missing screws & apple still repaired it.. also, it hasn't reached the store yet, but it's been shipped & picked up by fedex. Is there a way I can cancel the shipment and get the phone back before it goes to the store?

May 31, 2015 4:56 PM in response to tamiajackson

tamiajackson wrote:

So there is basically no chance for my phone to be repaired by apple is what you're saying? Because, some people are saying how they've had a few missing screws & apple still repaired it.. also, it hasn't reached the store yet, but it's been shipped & picked up by fedex. Is there a way I can cancel the shipment and get the phone back before it goes to the store?

We are not Apple. We can only answer based on our own experience and the reports of other users. Since you have already sent it in (not to a store as Babowa noted, by the way), you pretty much have to let it proceed. And there's no reason not to. You might get lucky. Even if they send it back without repair, you're no worse off than you were before.

Even if you were to get it back before it reached the repair facility and replaced the screws, any store you took it to would still know you'd opened it.

May 31, 2015 5:01 PM in response to tamiajackson

I meant the address on the envelope they gave you to mail the phone back - or did you just leave it at an Apple store and they mailed it? If it's a warranty repair, then Apple usually furnishes an envelope/box to send the product in.

Who replaced the screen? If it was an Apple authorized service provider, then you might be ok.

Mailed off iphone to apple for battery repair, but I have maybe 4 screws missing from the phone...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.