Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boosting Home WiFi with Time Capsule and Airport Extreme

I have a time capsule, airport extreme and airport express. I want to boost the WiFi around the house by using all three, TC and Extreme using ethernet connection. Is this possible what if so what settings would I have to use. There was a posting from 2010 that addressed this but most of the options have changed.

IMac 2010 Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F1077)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:27 PM

2 replies

May 31, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Mambooni

The help files for roaming are hopelessly out of date.. but the principle is simple..

When you connect airports by ethernet.. one or both must be bridged.. in any network use only one router.

Both units create a wireless network.. same wireless name.. same wireless security (WPA2 Personal is it!!).. same password.

The express if you don't connect by ethernet then you connect by wireless.. ie use wireless extend.. this is easy peasy to setup in the new airport utility.. simply plug it in and run through setup.. it will pick up wireless from the best signal AE or TC it can find and magically discover everything it needs.

The rule is .. connect by ethernet.. then use create wireless network.. ROAMING.. it is best method.

For when you don't have ethernet.. use wireless extend and allow airport utility to auto setup.

In fact the utility can almost always get ROAMING right now.. if you simply plug one airport into the other by ethernet..

If you have issues.. post with screenshots and we can give you any further tips you need.

Jun 1, 2015 8:59 AM in response to LaPastenague

Ok thanks. So>

1. I disconnected everything, reset the Verizon DSL wireless router set to bridge mode. (The router is in the garage in a metal in wall box so not very conducive for conducting wireless).

2. Plugged in and connected the TC. Set Network Mode as Create a wireless network. Set Router Mode as Off (Bridge Network). Got the green light connection all good.

3. Plugged in and connected the Airport Express. Set to Wireless to Extend Wireless Network. Got the green light all good.

4. Plugged in the Airport Extreme. Set to Extend Wireless Network. Good. Greenlight.

5. Then all the sudden lost internet connection. So in Airport Utility the Internet light went yellow while all three others are Green for each of the routers.

6. Then I reset the Verizon router... after a few minutes the Airport Extreme went Yellow. Then the Internet connection came back. Then Express went yellow. Extreme back to green. Internet is in and out now.

7. On my iPad using airport utility all is green now, but on the desktop TC and AE are yellow triangle.. lost connection.

Help please!

Boosting Home WiFi with Time Capsule and Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.