Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble transferring from iTunes to new iPhone

I have a windows 8.1 system on my computer and I just purchased a new iPhone 6 and i wish to transfer all my music onto my new iPhone, even songs that did not purchas. I keep receiving a message every time I plug in my iPhone that reads iTunes does not recognize the devic, and I must restore my devic? The problem is I have already done a lot of setting up on my phone and I do not wish to do it all over again, can any help trouble shoot this problem ? " I'm looking at 100 purchased song and 600 songs downloaded right onto my computer and iTunes

iPhone 5, Windows 8

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:01 PM

19 replies

May 31, 2015 5:27 PM in response to 68Chevelle

First, verify that you have the latest version of iTunes (v12), and update if you do not. Then try removing and reinstalling iTunes following these instructions carefully: Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

You must do this using a Windows user account with Administrator privileges.

If the music, regardless of source, is in your iTunes library you should be able to sync it to your iPhone.

Jun 1, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I appreciate your help, but I followed the steps you offered me in order. I reinstalled iTunes after restart, and I then plugged my phone into the computer. iTunes opened up and a little window popped up reading "iTunes cannot read the content of this iPhone. I need to go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click restore this phone to factory settings" This is what I am trying to avoid. I have personalized this phone quite a bit and I do not wish to take it back to factory settings. Can you suggest something else? this is a little frustrating I have had iTunes for years. every time I make a purchase on my phone it shows up on my computer, but I am not able to get all my old music back to my phone!

Jun 1, 2015 4:42 PM in response to 68Chevelle

It could be that your device driver needs to be repaired or updated.

Go to : Computer-system preferences-device manager. Check under "Universal serial bus controller" to see if your iphone is listed. If it is, right click it and choose update driver software or repair. If it is not listed there, check other devices or mobile devices. (under device manager)

Jun 1, 2015 7:20 PM in response to sistersoregon

I appreciate all the help given thus far I have to say it is a little fuss trading being that Apple is such a big company I did as you said and went to device manager and I did not find anything under mobile devices or any other type of device was helpful I really hope you have more suggestions I would really like to get my music back from iTunes. Thank you for all your help it is appreciated

Jun 1, 2015 7:37 PM in response to 68Chevelle

-Control Panel

-Hardware and sound

-devices & printers

Your iphone should be listed here under unspecified

right click on the device and select properties

it will have two tabs at the top of this window, select "hardware"

select properties at the bottom

from the general tab of this window, select change settings

from this window select the driver tab, and select update driver

from the next window, select search automatically. This can take about 3-6 minutes

-eject your device and reconnect, itunes should now read

Jun 2, 2015 10:53 AM in response to sistersoregon

I apologize for me not having my device plugged in! ok I started trouble shooting again. I have tried all your suggestions in your last two replies with my phone plugged in. I keep getting messages that my device software is up to date. I continue to to get the following message when I plug my phone into my computer and iTunes opens up. "iTunes cannot read the content of this iPhone. I need to go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click restore this phone to factory settings"? please continue if possible to help me, I have liked the direction that you are leading me thus far even if it hasn't solved my problem

Trouble transferring from iTunes to new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.