Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari will not change bookmarks

Just got my new macbook pro 15". Super fast, beautiful screen. However, I cannot get safari to work properly. It will not allow me to change the favorites. I try to delete the built in one's and they cannot be deleted. I have my iCloud setup to sync my bookmarks but it will not sync. Also I tried to import my bookmarks from my old macbook pro, but it will not save them after being imported. I have tried multiple things to no avail. Hoping someone has suggestions.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 3:24 PM

10 replies

May 31, 2015 5:36 PM in response to nkatariya

Back up all data before proceeding.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nouchg,nouappnd,noschg,nosappnd {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

May 31, 2015 6:08 PM in response to nkatariya

Well, it did help some. I was able to erase the favorites and import my favorites from my old computer. However when I close safari it seems to revert back to the apple installed favorites. I'm not sure if it has to do with syncing of my iCloud as well. All my other things from iCloud have synced appropriately and I have turned the safari sync on and off as well as log out of iCloud completely. Very frustrating but at least some progress.

May 31, 2015 6:18 PM in response to nkatariya

Back up all data. Disable Safari synchronization on all your devices.

Rearrange the bookmarks in the Bookmarks window. From the Safari menu bar, select

File ▹ Export Bookmarks

and export your bookmarks. Then delete all bookmarks.

Re-enable Safari synchronization and let it sync the empty bookmark set to all devices.

Select

File ▹ Import Bookmarks

to restore the bookmark set you just deleted. It will sync.

Jun 1, 2015 9:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

Tried this as well and it will not delete my bookmarks permanently on this new device. I delete all of them. When I open a new window they are gone, but once I quit safari hoping it will resync with iCloud it does not delete them all. The pre-installed bookmarks return. So odd. Also I tried searching for the "~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist" but this could not be found on my mac.

Jun 2, 2015 4:59 PM in response to nkatariya

Disable Safari synchronization in iCloud.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Quit Safari.

Select

Go Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open with a file named "Bookmarks.plist" selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open.

Relaunch Safari. It will open with the default set of bookmarks. Delete them all. Select

File Import from... (or Import Bookmarks...)

from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. Arrange the bookmarks as you wish.

If Safari now performs normally, you can delete the old bookmarks file. Otherwise, quit Safari again and put back the file you moved, replacing the newer one with the same name. Close the Finder window and post your results.

Jun 2, 2015 5:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

I didn't actually have a bookmarks.plist file in my safari folder in my library. In fact the only file I had was an extensions folder in my safari folder. I called apple support and we ended up deleting that Safari folder all together after trying multiple other things(including reinstalling OS X). And magically things were fixed. Thanks for everyone's help!

Safari will not change bookmarks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.