Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost iphone is being used for location sharing

I left my iPhone in taxi a few days ago. It is protected with fingerprint, a long pass code and double authenification, so I am not too worried about my data. As soon as I was back in my hotel, I checked out "find my iPhone", but unfortunately it was offline, and has not been back on-line since then. I put it into lost mode from my iPad.

My iPad location symbol is now constantly on, and under location sharing I get the message that my iPhone is being used for location sharing. I do not understand how this can be possible as find my iPhone still says that it is off-line. In the hope that someone will find it, and ring the number that should show in the lock-screen if and when it comes on-line, I have not as yet wiped the device.

Can anyone explain to me what might be happening with the location sharing? I wonder if location sharing on the iPad will remain permanently switched on until I remove the iPhone from my account. I shall be grateful for any ideas.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:59 PM

5 replies

May 31, 2015 6:13 PM in response to NTMJ

Hi NTMJ,

In response to your actual question:

When you turn on Find My iPhone Lost Mode, your device will turn on Location Services for as long as the device is in Lost Mode. When you turn off Lost Mode, Location Services will return to its previous state.

It is doing this so when the device does come online, it will be able to locate it for the Find My iPhone app.

Cheers,

GB

lost iphone is being used for location sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.