Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview is missing MANY fonts from the Text Style menu

I want to annotate a preview document using a graphic font, but Preview does not have it show up on the "Text Style" menu. In fact, there are A LOT of fonts I have installed in Font Book not available in Preview.

Has this always been the case? Thanks for any clarifications.

In the picture, the left is the "Text Style" menu in preview and the right is Font Book.

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:22 PM

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2015 5:22 PM in response to Wesley Johnson

Back up all data before proceeding.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and this support article for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them.

Start up in safe mode to rebuild the font caches. Restart as usual and test.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t start in safe mode. In that case, ask for instructions.

If you still have problems, then from the Font Book menu bar, select

FileRestore Standard Fonts...

You'll be prompted to confirm, and then to enter your administrator login password.

Also note that if you deactivate or remove any built-in fonts, for instance by using a third-party font manager, the system may become unstable.

Jun 15, 2015 1:41 AM in response to Wesley Johnson

I've been having the same problem, and I think I've figured out what the cause is in my case, but can't figure out how to solve it.

For me it seems that Preview (and TextEdit, for that matter) now uses the Smart Collection of fonts called "English" (I see this as the first Smart Collection in the sidebar when I open Font Book). This Smart Collection only collects fonts recognized as English, not sure how it classifies them as such. Problem is, I was editing a series of PDFs about a year ago (6 July 2014) using a Japanese font, namely Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN. I've subsequently upgraded to OS X 10.10.3, and when I resumed the project today that font doesn't appear in the dropdown anymore; the dropdown contains the same list as the English Smart Collection. I guess this all happened in one of the recent updates? All I know is one year ago it was showing this font in the dropdown. (On TextEdit this isn't too bad, since I could press ⌘T to show a list of all the fonts, but I can't do this in Preview)

See if your text dropdown matches a Smart Collection like it does in my example. As for me, I can't alter this English Smart Collection, disable, or delete it.

Does anyone know how to change the default font collection that Preview opens? Or how I could edit the properties of a font to make the computer think it's an English font? Or any other clever workarounds? Granted, there are Japanese fonts included in the so called English Smart Collection, but they don't match the one I was using before and I wanted to keep a consistent look.

Preview is missing MANY fonts from the Text Style menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.