Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air black screen of death, solved itself in minutes ??

Hi everyone,

I just faced a black screen of death on my Macbook Air 2014 (or so I think). After letting it sleep for a couple of hours, I tried to wake it up and it just wouldn't answer. It did not boot, nor make the initial chime.

I tried with a couple of combinations with the keys (power+shift+ctrl+option and option+cmd+p+r) but it still remained like dead. The only visible thing was the green dot on the magsafe.

After a few minutes, and without doing anything, it just booted itself normally. The question is: what the heck happened here?? It will be nice to understand why it did what it did!

Thanks a lot,

Federico.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 31, 2015 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 6:04 PM

The reset the PRAM probably did help, though it could be the battery for the PRAM is bad. Normally those take 4 years to get bad, but it is not unheard of to happen sooner. It just was slow to respond. I would bring it in for service and let them know what you did, and ask them if the battery needs replacing.

3 replies

Jun 23, 2015 3:12 PM in response to federicofrombs as

I have had 3 mac book air machines, since January 2013. Each one has the same problem. Screen goes black for exactly 30 seconds, curser moves but no screen activity. It happens randomly and sometimes 4 times in 1 hour, sometimes not for a couple of days. I have had 3 machines, same thing. Last week I took in the machine again for a check, and they said they sent the issue to 'engineering'. Today i got a call back and they told me it was due to having creative cloud. I told them no, it happened before i installed creative cloud. This has confused the apple techs for 2 years. My replacement machines do the same thing. I asked "is it something I am doing?!" but they said NO! so what is it????

Once when i updated to Yosemite it was fixed for almost 1 month. Then started right up again. Its very frustrating bc i give presentations and sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times during a 20 minute presentation.

The apple person who called me tried to convince me that i needed to call Adobe to work it out. I very rarely use my creative cloud, it is rarely even open.

But this has been happening before CC install.

Any ideas?

Macbook Air black screen of death, solved itself in minutes ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.